Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Luther Ford in Fargo would not turn on my cruise control. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312919)

jamp73 03-28-2013 11:04 AM

Luther Ford in Fargo would not turn on my cruise control.

I purchased a new 2008 Focus, and finally got around to buying a steering wheel with cruise controls. They said ford didnt recommend doing that on this car. They said I could purchase the cruise control kit for 400.00 plus install labor. I tried to explain to them that all they needed to do was enable my cruise. They wouldnt do it, and wasted a lot of my time in the process.
I got it turned on at a non dealer mechanics shop. Now my cruise works great, and even my cruise light comes on and works.

Why wouldn't ford do this? Is it because they realized they made a mistake, and now want money for cruise on their cars, or what?

OPsDad 03-28-2013 11:25 AM

Toxic attitude, don't know where it originates. Glad you found a way!

macdiesel 03-28-2013 11:54 AM

Wow, ford probably doesn't want to be responsible for your work. Just a guess. Or maybe because the care never came with cruise.

Strong sense of entitlement bro.

jamp73 03-28-2013 12:28 PM

I know it sounds like I have some anger and entitlement issues, I definately do.
When I bought the car back in '08 the dealer told me from the very beginning that all I had to do was buy a steering wheel with the criuse controls on it, and have it put on and then they would enable the cruise.
Well its nearly 5yrs later and I finally get around to doing it, and the dealer recants. Recants after I purchased a new wheel, and after ford said they would. So Irritated I am. I had no idea someone other than a dealer could program ford computers, I feel pretty lucky they did it. The only difference in a 2008 ford focus with Cruise Control, compared to one without; is the steering wheel with controls, and the computer thinking it has cruise. Its a drive by wire throttle.
I would have spent the extra money back in '08 if I knew the stress I was going to be put through over it. Back then they made it sound like thing to do, if I wanted to save money now.
Sorry for all the crying over this. I am happy now that my car has cruise. I still think Ford needs to own up to their mistake, 1st for lying, and then for being butt hurt that they didn't make money off me because I bought my steering wheel at a salvage yard, and went around them to have it turned on. I stuck it to the Man!:)
Ford you just need to lick your wounds and just turn peoples cruise on for them when they come to you with their own personal property and request you make a computer change for them, and redesign your cars to prevent this in the future if you dont like it happening.
Well I am glad I got that off my chest. Back to life now. I hope someone from Ford sees this.
Have a good day.:)

rambleon84 03-28-2013 12:52 PM

Well it sounds like more of specific dealership issue than Ford in general. You bought a lower model that didnt have cruise control.

Just be glad adding cruise control was that simple of a process, us early gens need a bit more work to get cruise control added.

Kabigon 03-28-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamp73 (Post 4658186)
Recants after I purchased a new wheel, and after ford said they would.

I still think Ford needs to own up to their mistake...

Do you have an issue with Ford (Ford Motor Company) or a Ford dealer (an entity which is not owned by Ford Motor Company) ?

rickdarris2004 03-28-2013 01:43 PM

Don't know that you can really blame them after 5yrs. I can see if they recanted a week after you bought the vehicle, but 5yrs!?! My experiences with Luther Ford have been nothing but extraordinary.

jamp73 03-28-2013 03:03 PM

I have issues with Ford because the Dealer said they could do it, and that they would do it, but Ford said not to.
I know they make good vehicles, but why couldnt they just turn my Cruise on? I spent lots of time trying to figure this out.
So far they are unable to tell me why, other than Ford doesnt recommend it, so they wont do it. I want real reasons. The only thing they could tell me is: Parts has a kit for $400.00.
Thats the biggest reason as far as I can see.
My cruise is working great with out the kit. So I'd like to know if their is some kind of safety concern. Ford should share that. Like "Hey dont do that or the computer will fry, or something". Thats why I think its a money thing.

badazz2010focus 03-28-2013 04:36 PM

some dealerships have problems thinking outside the box I'm sure I could go through 5 dealerships before I actually find someone who knows what they are doing, I dont know if you'd call it advance parameters of the eec computers or not. I dont have cruise either I need to add it if only ford spent some time trolling the forums they might actually know whats up.

tmtex 03-28-2013 07:03 PM

I might use it maybe once a year.