Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   SRI to cold for cold weather driving (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312754)

Dukttape 03-26-2013 02:35 PM

SRI to cold for cold weather driving

So I installed the Roush SRI last... April. Drove all summer with it installed. Very happy with it. I live in southern Wisconsin and in December-March it gets REALLY cold. I found out that the intake is, well for lack of better terming, too good at its job of getting cold air. Long story short, ended up having to put the stock intake back in for a few months. So it's warmed up a bit and I hated not having noise and some extra ponies to play with. So me and a buddy bought a smaller filter and figured out how to keep as much of the uber cold out.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/...psec220e2d.jpg
So we didn't put the snorkel on and plugged the hole and had a brilliant idea to put the HID ballast in the heat shield. And have been running like that for about a week now with no issues and I'll put the snorkel on when we've had a week above 50. I don't know for sure if I'll move the ballast yet. But that's my fun cold weather story for the year.

S0C0nFused 03-26-2013 03:27 PM

what symptoms were you having due to the (very) cold air? just curious.

Dukttape 03-26-2013 04:59 PM

I was driving on the highway and the car lurched and went into limp mode.

felixthecat 03-26-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukttape (Post 4654996)

When you installed it originaly, did you install the insert that came w/ the steeda sri? w/o it you'll need a reflash. Sounds like you didn't in your post.

jetrinka 03-26-2013 11:26 PM

It totally shouldn't matter how cold the air is coming into the car.. Afterall if that were the case the stock setup would have issues to as it pulls air from the fender well. If anything the air from an SRI is warmer than the air from the stock setup.. Your issue lies elsewhere.

darkknight9 03-27-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4655662)
When you installed it originaly, did you install the insert that came w/ the steeda sri? w/o it you'll need a reflash. Sounds like you didn't in your post.

This. Besides, your a WI/MN guy. If it was too cold just put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and let the engine get warm. [hihi]

Dukttape 03-27-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4655662)
When you instaled it originaly, did you install the insert that came w/ the steeda sri? w/o it you'll need a reflash. Sounds like you didn't in your post.

I have the Roush intake not the Steeda so I don't have an insert to put in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetrinka (Post 4655709)
It totally shouldn't matter how cold the air is coming into the car.. Afterall if that were the case the stock setup would have issues to as it pulls air from the fender well. If anything the air from an SRI is warmer than the air from the stock setup.. Your issue lies elsewhere.

The duratec pulls air from the crack between the hood and the grill with the stock setup as well as being a big plastic box that does allow for some engine heat to leach in where as the Roush intake is a big powder coated steel heat sink just stays cold because of the air flow in and around it.

I put the HID ballast in the heat shield to warm up the shield and air just enough so that the oil coming in from the breather hose doesn't muck with the throttle body when cruze is disengaged with the clutch. Also since the filter is drawing much more O2 dense air than the stock intake the car runs lean at higher RPMs/Speeds. Next winter I'm going to put an arm band around the smaller filter to lessen the air flow a bit to help with lean issue.

Please don't bash something until you fully understand it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkknight9 (Post 4656252)
This. Besides, your a WI/MN guy. If it was too cold just put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and let the engine get warm. [hihi]

Thus the removing of the stock snorkel and putting a blocker in that slot of the intake heat shield.

S0C0nFused 03-27-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukttape (Post 4654996)

Did you get the codes? What was the outside temp? just curious as said. I am betting (with myself) that your MAF had 'brain freeze'. I.E. The MAF measures quantity of air by temp measurement within a known volume. If you exceed the temp spec, then the MAF know longer knows how much air is entering and goes to safe (limp) mode! Think FORD tests to -40f, but normal MAF 'probably' can go to -50f. things get a bit iffy at the margins.
Hey! it's my theory and I'm stickin to it [wiggle]

#1fordfan 03-27-2013 03:57 PM

I have a steeda SRI,live in Illinois. We have had several sub zero days this winter. My car never had a problem related to the air intake. The battery issue is a different subject though.[rofl]

Dukttape 03-27-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S0C0nFused (Post 4656646)
Did you get the codes? What was the outside temp? just curious as said. I am betting (with myself) that your MAF had 'brain freeze'. I.E. The MAF measures quantity of air by temp measurement within a known volume. If you exceed the temp spec, then the MAF know longer knows how much air is entering and goes to safe (limp) mode! Think FORD tests to -40f, but normal MAF 'probably' can go to -50f. things get a bit iffy at the margins.
Hey! it's my theory and I'm stickin to it [wiggle]

The car was reading 4 outside temp. Pretty sure it was colder. I agree wholly with freezing the MAF. I dropped the car into neutral and actually turned it off for about 10sec. Probably not my best idea while going 55 but she turned right over and worked so long as I had it engaged in a gear. A bit of trouble at the stop lights but got to work where I tied hand warmers to the outside of the filter and got home without to much greef. I threw the stock intake back on the next morning and had that on for a 2-3 months.