Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   If you DCT issues, this will interest you... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312734)

BPEW584 03-26-2013 09:07 AM

If you DCT issues, this will interest you...
 
For the heck of it, I've been using SelectShift the past couple days. The one difference I've noticed is how much smoooother the shifts are in this mode vs. fully automatic; the rumbling in 1st is almost entirely gone.

Just a thought here, when they say "the DCT has to learn how you drive", wouldn't that be referring to the SelectShfit mode? I'm not exactly sure on how the programming is structured in the DCT, but if the full auto mode takes shift data collected from SelectShift, then I think we have a solution here, theoretically. Now, logically speaking, most of these issues with the DCT should just be software related, as much of these issues started after 12B37, which was a software update.

I'll be using SelectShift for the rest of the week, and will be going back to fully auto after. I'll update this thread then.

Tubeway Army 03-26-2013 09:54 AM

I noticed improvement with Selectshift, but a lot of my issues are when it's in Drive and warm out. It's 60F here currently, grinding was less obvious this morning compared to the other day when it was in the low 80's. I think what others said about the heat and issues is apparent though Ford has noted there are issues at colder temps so I am confused on that one?

cappa 03-26-2013 10:09 AM

sorry but this isn't a solution whatsoever lol.. just a way to use up more gas in an unnecessary fashion.

BPEW584 03-26-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappa (Post 4654354)
sorry but this isn't a solution whatsoever lol.. just a way to use up more gas in an unnecessary fashion.

If you thoroughly read my post, I said I would revert back to full auto next week.

suss6052 03-26-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappa (Post 4654354)
sorry but this isn't a solution whatsoever lol.. just a way to use up more gas in an unnecessary fashion.

The only way you use more gas is if you leave it in select shift automatic and go faster than 35-40 mph as select shift automatic leaves the car in 5th gear. However if you shift it properly manually you can get the same fuel economy or better than leaving it to its own devices.

I don't think I have the "typical" issues with the DCT, but I do tend to alternate between driving in select shift manual mode a lot and drive. Usually if I leave it in drive the car becomes too sensitive to the throttle and shifts down 1 gear much easier than in manual mode.

cappa 03-26-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4654367)
The only way you use more gas is if you leave it in select shift automatic and go faster than 35-40 mph as select shift automatic leaves the car in 5th gear. However if you shift it properly manually you can get the same fuel economy or better than leaving it to its own devices.

I don't think I have the "typical" issues with the DCT, but I do tend to alternate between driving in select shift manual mode a lot and drive. Usually if I leave it in drive the car becomes too sensitive to the throttle and shifts down 1 gear much easier than in manual mode.

I've read reviews stating otherwise and while they obviously could be wrong I unfortunately haven't had the car for over three weeks to test this theory out anyways lol but this doesn't fix the DCT Issues though.

suss6052 03-26-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappa (Post 4654386)
I've read reviews stating otherwise and while they obviously could be wrong I unfortunately haven't had the car for over three weeks to test this theory out anyways lol but this doesn't fix the DCT Issues though.

I've driven extensively both ways and have seen very little reduction if anything its stayed the same or gotten better fuel economy by driving in manual mode. Car has 12.9k miles on it at the moment. Never really felt excessive shudder or slip on take off, so my only real complaints so far is that its not a 6MT.

PratoN 03-26-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubeway Army (Post 4654339)
I noticed improvement with Selectshift, but a lot of my issues are when it's in Drive and warm out. It's 60F here currently, grinding was less obvious this morning compared to the other day when it was in the low 80's. I think what others said about the heat and issues is apparent though Ford has noted there are issues at colder temps so I am confused on that one?

I have also noticed that it is worse when warm out. I think this is related to leaking seals or binding components (possibly bad actuators?).

Ford told dealerships not to fix cars exhibiting a scraping noise only when there are cold ambient temperatures as replacing the clutch kit does not solve the issue. This makes sense to me - we're having more issues when it's warm that go away when it's cold and replacing the clutch kit (allegedly) solves our issues, so replacing clutches on cars that "scrape" in cold weather would be useless as it's (probably) caused by something else.

Jim_J 03-26-2013 11:27 AM

Those of us without selectshift are not helped at all by this. Just this morning I was coming in, wanted to pass someone, hit the gas, the engine reved but speed did not increase until the tranny figured it out four seconds later, after my window to move had passed.

Four seconds to go "Hey, the accelerator is floored, lets downshift and move this rolling POS?

The focus platform has great potential, but crap execution. It's not just the shudder tranny, but that's certainly the worst part of it.

Kabigon 03-26-2013 01:47 PM

In general, the transmission/clutches work better if you "mix it up" (which includes hard acceleration and upshifting/downshifting in manual mode).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp