Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Spare tire (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312326)

Matt89 03-20-2013 08:14 PM

Spare tire
 
I'm going on a trip and want to carry a full size spare tire just in case since one tire already had a nail, it has since been plugged fine for 6 months but you never know...

Since it's just a spare Im thinking of just hitting up the junkyard to salvage the rim and get a good used tire from a local shop.

Now since I've never done this before, am I limited to salvaging from only ford focuses with the same size, or can I take any rim off any make as long as it's the same size/number of lug nuts?

macdiesel 03-20-2013 08:37 PM

Lets see were to begin. Plugged tire, not good. Used tire, not good. Bolt pattern on junkyard wheel may have different offset. You want same size.

If you never know, why chance it with a used tire?

If I may, what happened to the spare?

HilloNative 03-20-2013 09:26 PM

You will spend money on used wheel and used tire, why don't you just replace the bad tire and take the donut with?

02fordsvt 03-21-2013 07:05 AM

I've been running used tires from a salvage yard for five years and have never had an issue with any of them and I keep a couple around just in case one starts leaking or runs out of tread.

As for wheel patterns, Focus wheels will obviously work (2000-2011) as well as Mercury Cougar and Ford Contour rims. Some older Mustangs work to but they will be harder to find.

rambleon84 03-21-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02fordsvt (Post 4647010)
Some older Mustangs work to but they will be harder to find.

id stay away from the mustang wheels for a spare wheel/backup, their offset is not friendly.

bile0026 03-21-2013 09:03 AM

Sack up and get a new tire. Don't waste your time with junkyard tires. You are taking a much bigger risk by getting a tire out of the junkyard then you are just driving with the plugged tire. You never know how long a tire has been sitting out in the sun or in bad conditions and if its dry rotted. IMO its really not worth the risk. Rims are okay metal takes a very long time to break down. I would get a junkyard rim (preferably once that size matches your others) and just buy a cheap new tire if it will only be used as a spare. $50-80 for a new tire is much better than hundreds or more if a junkyard tire blows on the highway and causes damage to your car, or even worse, causes an accident if you lose control.

Matt89 03-21-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bile0026 (Post 4647153)
Sack up and get a new tire. Don't waste your time with junkyard tires. You are taking a much bigger risk by getting a tire out of the junkyard then you are just driving with the plugged tire. You never know how long a tire has been sitting out in the sun or in bad conditions and if its dry rotted. IMO its really not worth the risk. Rims are okay metal takes a very long time to break down. I would get a junkyard rim (preferably once that size matches your others) and just buy a cheap new tire if it will only be used as a spare. $50-80 for a new tire is much better than hundreds or more if a junkyard tire blows on the highway and causes damage to your car, or even worse, causes an accident if you lose control.

Yea I just wanted the rim not the tire. Guess I can pick up a tire at Costco or something lol

bile0026 03-21-2013 04:22 PM

Didn't mean to sound harsh there, sorry about that. I didn't realize it until just now [:I]

Matt89 03-21-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macdiesel (Post 4646533)
Lets see were to begin. Plugged tire, not good. Used tire, not good. Bolt pattern on junkyard wheel may have different offset. You want same size.

If you never know, why chance it with a used tire?

If I may, what happened to the spare?

Focus never came with a spare. Only fix a flat stuff and an air pumper that barely works.

TheGlassMaker 03-21-2013 04:36 PM

It one thing you take a wheel and tire from a car sitting in a junk yard. It another when the junk yard pulls good tires and sells them off a rack in the lobby. My local yard sells used tires for 7-20 bucks each. With at least 75% tread left. I've been buying my winter tires from there for years. They have a huge selection. They also have a nice collection of wheels too.

Sent from 34.0764 N, 118.4296 W


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp