Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2013 Focus SE - Check Engine Light (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311962)

blainhershberger 03-17-2013 02:25 AM

2013 Focus SE - Check Engine Light

Hi,

I had the K&N 69 Series Typhoon Intake System installed on my 2013 Ford Focus roughly a week ago and experienced no issues until last night after dinner when I returned to my car with that delightful Check Engine Light on (700 miles on the car)...Is it possible that improper installation of the intake has caused this? I have not noticed any abnormal driving experiences but I have noticed that my fuel mileage has not been the greatest. Is it possible that there is a leak (pulled code at Autozone. Error code P0456 indicates 4 different issues: loose fuel cap (car has no cap); EVAP canister broke, hose cracked, or not connected; Purge or vent solenoid defective; and the last and seeming to be most likely cause, Vacuum leak at engine. I do work at a Ford dealership but I was unable to get a mechanic to take a look at it today. I am extremely worried about it doing serious damage to my engine. Could this potentially cause a long term issue and also void the warranty to whatever it may damage?

Thanks

wickedgreyzx3 03-17-2013 05:52 AM

Then put the stock intake in and see what happens

Bogey 03-17-2013 03:53 PM

This is the first ive heard of a problem with the 69 series on this car, you sure you didnt pulled something while installing... Its not totally it might cause something, but the aftermarket engineers test this to make sure before hand.

sailor 03-17-2013 05:00 PM

With older models, results like this have typically been from installation issues. So letting the mechanics who installed it take a look would likely help!

Only other issues prev. seen were with cheap units that had the wrong size tube for the MAF (NOT k&N), MAF installed backwards, MAF dirty from installation or over oiled filter (not likely from pre-oiled unit).

Occasionally something isn't tightened up accidentally, or a hose comes off by accident - those are things you might see yourself with a quick look....

Luck!

P.S. - Nearby items may have been disturbed during installation, so look around the WHOLE area for possible issues. Intake tract connections in particular given the "code" you got!

ST8ofmind 03-17-2013 09:47 PM

your car is still new and it is possible you have a small vacuum leak and not notice it given if you did no install it correctly. Recheck all connections, clear the code and see if it comes back. Have one of the techs do an EVAP test using the IDS and see if they can isolate an issue with the EVAP system. I have encountered several new Foci (<5k miles) with EVAP concerns, I have replaced many Canister Purge Valves as they tend to stick slightly open and get stuck which causes a leak.

FordService 03-18-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blainhershberger (Post 4640503)
Hi,

I had the K&N 69 Series Typhoon Intake System installed on my 2013 Ford Focus roughly a week ago and experienced no issues until last night after dinner when I returned to my car with that delightful Check Engine Light on (700 miles on the car)...Is it possible that improper installation of the intake has caused this? I have not noticed any abnormal driving experiences but I have noticed that my fuel mileage has not been the greatest. Is it possible that there is a leak (pulled code at Autozone. Error code P0456 indicates 4 different issues: loose fuel cap (car has no cap); EVAP canister broke, hose cracked, or not connected; Purge or vent solenoid defective; and the last and seeming to be most likely cause, Vacuum leak at engine. I do work at a Ford dealership but I was unable to get a mechanic to take a look at it today. I am extremely worried about it doing serious damage to my engine. Could this potentially cause a long term issue and also void the warranty to whatever it may damage?

Thanks

Hi blainhershberger,

Installing or using any aftermarket product will not necessarily void your warranty. However, if the product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the repair and any related damage(s) are not covered by your warranty. Let me know what your dealer says; if you need my assistance, just let me know.

Crystal

blainhershberger 03-19-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 4642493)
Hi blainhershberger,

Installing or using any aftermarket product will not necessarily void your warranty. However, if the product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the repair and any related damage(s) are not covered by your warranty. Let me know what your dealer says; if you need my assistance, just let me know.

Crystal

They cleared the code, didn't really look into it. Explained that it is most likely my capless fuel tank and that it sometimes takes some time to seal...light hasn't came back on yet, let's pray it doesn't!

Thanks!

FordService 03-19-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blainhershberger (Post 4643811)
They cleared the code, didn't really look into it. Explained that it is most likely my capless fuel tank and that it sometimes takes some time to seal...light hasn't came back on yet, let's pray it doesn't!

Thanks!

Hi blainhershberger,

Thanks for updating us. If you need any assistance in the future, you know where to find me!

Crystal