Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   CAT Cams - Who's Actually Done It? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311898)

svtguy88 03-16-2013 04:38 PM

CAT Cams - Who's Actually Done It?
 
I've always wanted to put cams in my SVT, and I think that time may be now...

Okay, before I do something silly with my tax refund, like put it in the bank, I want to know who's gone the CAT Cams route, and what your experiences have been.

It looks like the price has dropped a little since the last time I looked into this, and CFM seems to have a nice selection of different grinds.

As much as I'd love to get something ridiculous, I don't know that a 12:1 compression ratio is in my (near) future. I am contemplating doing the Zetec head gasket swap while I'm in there, but that's obviously nowhere near 12:1.

So, who's done it, and what can you tell me?

qweesy 03-16-2013 07:17 PM

not many bro SVT Cams are already pretty big, you will not see much gain save your money go S/C or Turbo

svtguy88 03-17-2013 01:41 AM

Right...well, if I were looking to go F/I, I wouldn't be asking this question...

iminhell 03-17-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qweesy (Post 4639860)
not many bro SVT Cams are already pretty big, you will not see much gain save your money go S/C or Turbo


SVT Cams aren't big by any means [screwy].


I only know 1 person (and he's in the TC area). The car isn't running/tuned yet so I can't say what worth they have.
All I know is I want a ride in the car because it's very similar to mine, plus cams. So if it pulls on me, I'm buying cams.

svtguy88 03-17-2013 10:18 PM

Hmm..

Okay. So I'm kinda in uncharted territory here, at least as far as the US is concerned....

I think I want to keep it sort of streetable. The SVT has such a nice midrange, and I'd hate to lose that by going with some crazy grind.

svtguy88 03-18-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iminhell (Post 4641461)
I only know 1 person (and he's in the TC area). The car isn't running/tuned yet so I can't say what worth they have.

Do you know if he kept VCT? Ideally, I'd like to keep it, but the more research I do, the more it seems like the Cat Cams eliminate it...

**edit**
Just did some reading on the SVT's VCT, and it looks like it's primarily to help with emissions? Hmm...the more reading I do, the less I know what I want to do.

Shocktech102 03-18-2013 07:18 PM

I was looking at Cat cams as well. The svt cams may not be "big", but there's got to be a reason why most people run stock cams.. The benefit must not outweigh the cost/performance gain.

-Matt

supersled03 03-18-2013 09:23 PM

This may or may not help but it really depends on how you drive your car. When I had my vr6 jetta I swapped to a 276 shrick cam with the matching shrick manifold, header, and 2.5 in exhaust. It pulled great above 4000 rpms, had a really cool idle, but it was a pita in traffic. It was fun though. I think i am going the na route on my svt as well and i see cams in the future. lol

For the money I had in it, it would have been a lot faster turbo..

felixthecat 03-18-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtguy88 (Post 4642415)
Do you know if he kept VCT? Ideally, I'd like to keep it, but the more research I do, the more it seems like the Cat Cams eliminate it...

**edit**
Just did some reading on the SVT's VCT, and it looks like it's primarily to help with emissions? Hmm...the more reading I do, the less I know what I want to do.

The whole idea 'bout vct is trying to have low end & top end torque. I'd be figuring on where you want your power & torque. What mods do you have on your svt?

iminhell 03-18-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shocktech102 (Post 4642866)
I was looking at Cat cams as well. The svt cams may not be "big", but there's got to be a reason why most people run stock cams.. The benefit must not outweigh the cost/performance gain.

-Matt


Maybe you want to do a little research. Lets say cost for one.



Quote:

Originally Posted by supersled03 (Post 4643087)
This may or may not help but it really depends on how you drive your car. When I had my vr6 jetta I swapped to a 276 shrick cam with the matching shrick manifold, header, and 2.5 in exhaust. It pulled great above 4000 rpms, had a really cool idle, but it was a pita in traffic. It was fun though. I think i am going the na route on my svt as well and i see cams in the future. lol

For the money I had in it, it would have been a lot faster turbo..

It's a VW, this is normal.



Quote:

Originally Posted by svtguy88 (Post 4642415)
Do you know if he kept VCT? Ideally, I'd like to keep it, but the more research I do, the more it seems like the Cat Cams eliminate it...

**edit**
Just did some reading on the SVT's VCT, and it looks like it's primarily to help with emissions? Hmm...the more reading I do, the less I know what I want to do.


The site claims they make with VCT and W/O. I've not read of anyone retaining it, big reason is duration. You can't go too far or you'll smack a valve into a piston during the advance phase.

FWIW, This is what I spec'd the SVT cams at --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259167


I don't think it's really uncharted territory, just that those who do have them aren't the internet type. Maybe someone on a Caterham site has them but doesn't cross post, I haven't looked. I can't see the both CFM and Massive are stocking them for nothing (Karl only does 1 grind from my understanding).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.