Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Forced Induction (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Turbo installation questions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311429)

tyler417 03-11-2013 01:12 PM

Turbo installation questions

I'm getting ready to install a turbo charger in my 2001 ZX3 and i have a few concerns before i actually go through with it.

First, I'm concerned with the fact that my focus is an automatic and I'm wanting to know what all is required of the ECU and how to reprogram/flash it. can I just buy a chip off Ebay or what?

Second, I have seen threads on this site that have stated that a turbo will ruin an automatic transmission. I don't really know what to think about this because i don't plan on running more than 8 pounds of boost.

Basically, I just want to know what is REQUIRED other than the piping, manifold, downpipe, wastegate, etc.

focusmaniaczx3 03-11-2013 02:50 PM

what is REQUIRED to turbo the focus.

turbo manifold
turbo
down pipe from turbo to flex pipe
piping from turbo to intercooler
intercooler
piping from intercooler to intake manifold
waste gate
blow off valve
oil lines for the turbo
a tapped oil pan for oil lines
boost controller
wide band air/fuel ratio gauge and wideband o2 sensor. this MUST be wideband
bigger fuel injectors. for your application 42lb injectors should be more than enough but there is nothing wrong with going bigger than what you need since they can always be turned down but you cannot exceed the maximum of what an injector can flow
diablo mafia
good filter to put on the end of the turbo or on the turbo inlet pipe
a tune is a requirement. this is the answer to your first question. contact a tuner of your choice. there are several to choose from who can tune your car and do a good job of it. i recommend Tom from Focus-Power. you pay for the flash tool and pay for the tune ONCE and you have free tune updates for as long as you own the car. so if you decide to build the engine and trans for more power later on and turn up the boost he will re-tune your car for free. he is the ONLY tuner around that does that and he is VERY good at what he does. you can contact him on this website by sending him a private message if you want. his screen name is 1turbofocus or alternatively you can send him an e-mail at hpdyno@aol.com. the way this tuning process will work is he will send you a safe tune first by e-mail. you will connect the flash tool/programmer/xcal (whatever you want to call it. from this point forward it will be referred to as an xcal) to your computer and load the tune from the computer to the xcal. you then take the xcal and plug it into the obdII port in your car and follow the on screen instructions to load the tune into your car's ecu. you will then have tom help you set up your laptop for datalogging. this might take 15 minutes over the phone or he can literally take over your computer over the internet and set it up for you. you will plug in an analog input from the wideband air/fuel ratio gauge into the xcal. the xcal is plugged into your car, and the xcal is also plugged up to the laptop. you use the free datalogging software to record all the information that your car's ecu is putting out and save it. you drive the car while the laptop is recording, make a few wide open throttle pulls and then e-mail that file to tom. he reads the file, makes modifications to your tune and e-mails you a new tune. you upload the new tune to your car the same as you did before and repeat the datalogging and emailing process until tom is satisfied that the tune is perfect.

as for the transmission issue. your trans should be able to handle between 180-200whp MAYBE. alot of those seem to be hit and miss with how much juice they can take. your engine will be able to safely make around 250whp but since you dont have a manual trans you are going to have to limit yourself. without a tune to turn up the fluid pressure in the trans it wouldnt handle very much more over stock. tom will also be able to take care of this. with the xcal you can do alot of other stuff too. adjust what rpm you shift at when you have the throttle to the floor, what the rev limiter is set at, raise lower or completely remove the speed governor, check for engine codes and clear them, adjust what temp rad fans kick on, adjust the speedo for different size wheels, and lots of other stuff im bound to be forgetting.

i hope my book helps

ZXthrizzle05 03-11-2013 09:50 PM

that's it

freemind 03-14-2013 01:54 AM

That's right, MUSIC!!!

MattDzx3 03-14-2013 01:55 AM

Maniac and ZXthrizzle you two are opposites when it comes to length of posts [giddy]

focusmaniaczx3 03-14-2013 09:30 AM

think thats bad? pray that you never meet me in person because my mouth doesnt get carpal tunnel