Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   67mm CFM TB, Not what I expected? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311306)

USARice 03-09-2013 06:46 PM

67mm CFM TB, Not what I expected?

So I replaced my TB today with the CFM one, and while yes, the throttle seems heavier without slop and the power seems more "linear" if that makes sense, it seems to have killed some of the spunk that I loved so much from my ST. It's louder, it sounds like it has grunt, and as long as I stay a gear lower than normal and keep it in the 4-6k range it has cahones, but the low-end and being able to roast the tires seems to have left. My wife drove it this evening and came back and said it wasn't fun to drive anymore, that it "drives just like any other car now". Is this just a matter of the ECU needing more time to learn or is what I bought really just a heavier spring with a little extra midrange grunt? Anyone with the CFM care to cime in? I have it taking air through a K&N FIPK if that makes any difference.

sam fisher 03-09-2013 06:49 PM

That sucks dude , thanks for putting that up though , i was going to buy one myself

Sent from my LG-LG730 using FF Mobile

macdiesel 03-09-2013 07:17 PM

That's interesting. Gasket and tps installed correctly, no vacuum leaks? Did you check to see if the butterfly over rotates? When I put mine on it was an instant improvement. I would contact William at cfm.

USARice 03-09-2013 07:38 PM

Gasket was new and TPS was already on it when I got it. I can try my old TPS and see if it makes a difference. Idle is fine and there are no dead spots in acceleration to make me suspect vacuum issues. Install was pretty straightforward with no issues. Cruise works fine. Will take off and change TPS tomorrow.

Sent from Gods Country

FocusedSlayer 03-09-2013 07:48 PM

Thats what I have on mine and it has a lot of pickup for me , did you unhook your battery and then take it out for a drive so it can relearn everything? I wouldn't put my stock tb back on if anyone would pay me too .

felixthecat 03-09-2013 07:51 PM

When I had cfm's tb on, I noticed it was great for the on ramps & thats it. DDing bumper to bumper traffic was no good. It was just to touchy. I didn't check the geomtry or the spring stiffness. I should have messed w/ it more, but I sold it right then & there. My wife said, what the hell is wrong w/ the Foci. That was a few yrs ago.

Mr.Bergner 03-09-2013 07:56 PM

^^I have to agree with this as well. I wasn't too fond on the touchy-ness either. Mind you, mine was on a Zetec, but when I was forced to get an OEM tb due to the tps not being available separately, I actually liked the response from the OEM better.

Sucks to hear though, never fun to find out it wasn't what you thought. Hopefully it either gets better somehow, or you're able to figure something else out.

macdiesel 03-09-2013 07:57 PM

@felix, try a fx300 clutch and lwfw in rush hour, not fun. Hopefully the tb issue gets resolved and sheds some light on this issue. Wonder if the tps that came with was on for a long time without being used.

USARice 03-10-2013 01:13 PM

So I reset the ECU again and took it for another spin. Can't say anything changed but I will say the second time taking it out was a little better. I think it's mind over matter. I am used to pushing on the pedal and there's that millisecond pause, then the car would jump forward. With this being more linear there isn't that issue. I will say that I tested it on a few onramps and I was able to get up to "legal speed" faster than I had before. My highway entry speeds were up by about 10mph and that was even in the rain. Overall I guess I am please with it, just not sure what I was expecting I guess. It growls from about 4k on. I did a couple 3rd gear pulls from "less than legal speeds" to higher and it really seems to have some punch. A tune is in order. I will say though with the stiffer spring it would be annoying to drive without cruise.

Thanks guys!

felixthecat 03-10-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4628483)
When I had cfm's tb on, I noticed it was great for the on ramps & thats it. DDing bumper to bumper traffic was no good. It was just to touchy. I didn't check the geomtry or the spring stiffness. I should have messed w/ it more, but I sold it right then & there. My wife said, what the hell is wrong w/ the Foci. That was a few yrs ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USARice (Post 4629411)
So I reset the ECU again and took it for another spin. Can't say anything changed but I will say the second time taking it out was a little better. I think it's mind over matter. I am used to pushing on the pedal and there's that millisecond pause, then the car would jump forward. With this being more linear there isn't that issue. I will say that I tested it on a few onramps and I was able to get up to "legal speed" faster than I had before. My highway entry speeds were up by about 10mph and that was even in the rain. Overall I guess I am please with it, just not sure what I was expecting I guess. It growls from about 4k on. I did a couple 3rd gear pulls from "less than legal speeds" to higher and it really seems to have some punch. A tune is in order. I will say though with the stiffer spring it would be annoying to drive without cruise.

Thanks guys!

Thats what I found also= great for the onramp's!