Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Mellow MagnaFlow (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311124)

ahsfba 03-07-2013 03:09 PM

Mellow MagnaFlow
 
Just got the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust system (15072) installed on my 2012 hatch. The tone is gorgeous and the car pulls beautifully now, but I was expecting it to be a little louder. From what I've read, there is a break in period of a couple thousand miles with these things, but the noise will only increase slightly. Some say to delete the middle resonator and that should increase the volume a bit more. Is this a good route to take? How much will this affect volume and/or horsepower?

wacky 03-07-2013 03:18 PM

the resonator shouldn't have any affect on your horsepower.

FocusBoy58 03-07-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsfba (Post 4624956)
Just got the MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust system (15072) installed on my 2012 hatch. The tone is gorgeous and the car pulls beautifully now, but I was expecting it to be a little louder. From what I've read, there is a break in period of a couple thousand miles with these things, but the noise will only increase slightly. Some say to delete the middle resonator and that should increase the volume a bit more. Is this a good route to take? How much will this affect volume and/or horsepower?

I would leave the Magnaflow the way it is. Just in case you add the big boy headers down the road for that extra 10-12whp.

Also for it to stay mellow even with headers. The Magnaflow sounds great as is..

Joey D 03-07-2013 09:40 PM

Once it's "broke in" it will get louder. It's not to the point where it shatters your ear drums, but it produces a really nice note. Mine is pretty loud when I step on it, but cruising along at 70-75mph you can barely hear it in the car.

ahsfba 03-08-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wacky (Post 4624967)
the resonator shouldn't have any affect on your horsepower.

Thanks. This is my first time installing aftermarket exhaust on a vehicle. I didn't think removing the resonator would do anything to the horsepower since it's essentially the same principle as a lunchbox delete, but I had to ask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey D (Post 4625525)
Once it's "broke in" it will get louder. It's not to the point where it shatters your ear drums, but it produces a really nice note. Mine is pretty loud when I step on it, but cruising along at 70-75mph you can barely hear it in the car.

Thank you! That's what I've been reading. Towards the end of my commute today it seemed to get quite a bit louder and throatier. Even if it gets only slightly louder, I'll be completely happy. The tone itself is awesome! Glad I spent the extra on the MagnaFlow [headbang]

ahsfba 03-14-2013 01:37 PM

A few days ago I got the center resonator removed just to see what it'd be like ($50). The car sounds amazing! I'll try to get a youtube video up within the next few days :)

ChalupaJones 04-04-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsfba (Post 4636553)
A few days ago I got the center resonator removed just to see what it'd be like ($50). The car sounds amazing! I'll try to get a youtube video up within the next few days :)

Got a vid up yet?

ahsfba 04-04-2013 04:12 PM

Sorry, didn't realize there was still interest! I may be able to get one up tonight. I still get whiffs of that new exhaust smell on occasion, so I think it's still breaking in.

ahsfba 04-04-2013 10:40 PM

Alright. I was able to shoot a really quick video when I got home from work. I'm trying to get hold of my buddy's nice video camera to give you guys something better.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

meattooth 04-04-2013 11:21 PM

Where is the middle resonator on the magnaflow system? Am I missing something?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/05/a6u6unus.jpg

Edit: nevermind I see now that the word middle was used in the first post then center was used later.... carry on I love magnaflow!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.