Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Wheel cleaning question (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311102)

I am Focused 03-07-2013 10:38 AM

Wheel cleaning question

Hi everyone. I have a question about my wheels. I have the 17 inch polished alloy wheels and wanted to know if they will scratch from cleaning? Like do I have to be easy on them so that the brake dust won't scratch or put swirls in them, like when washing the paint on your car? Or would that not happen with these wheels? They look so nice that I don't want to screw them up.

BLRich1 03-07-2013 11:24 AM

Moved to "Auto Washing & Detailing"

You will be good cleaning them the same way as you clean your paint.

I am Focused 03-07-2013 11:42 AM

So brake dust and dirt won't scratch these wheels? I've always had regular aluminum wheels in the past and didn't have to worry about them. Since these have such a high gloss look, just under chrome, I have no idea if they would have to be carefully cleaned to avoid scratches. Could they be scratched by cleaning improperly? Just trying to avoid any mistakes on my new car :)

BLRich1 03-07-2013 12:17 PM

Being an OEM product, durability is a major concern for the manufacturer and they wouldn't equip vehicles with something easily scratched by brake dust. I think you will be fine with regular cleaning. Just use soap and water.

I am Focused 03-07-2013 12:21 PM

How do they make the polished alloys? Are they dipped or machined? I see some faint lines similar to a black car after you wash many times you get those faint scratches. Very hard to notice. Maybe I'm just looking too hard or maybe you have those with the way they make the rims.

redwake 03-07-2013 12:48 PM

simple green FTW

harbor freight also sells a soft wheel cleaning brush that fits between spokes for low dollar

or mothers has an expensive drill attachment.

my wheels are painted, an old t shirt and simple green does just fine every now and then but i selected a very custom color to get my desired look... that dirty penny

brake dust makes them look better until... rain.

camber + lips + poke = puddles :(

Elizabeth 03-07-2013 09:28 PM

Any factory wheels are coated. Polished alloy would have a clear coating applied.
The 17" wheels I have seen are NOT polished but painted silver.
Maybe some folks have actual polished, but the ones around my area are painted. (I have the black painted 17's so I watch forthe 17" wheels)
Without a clear coat, the alloy would soon discolor get 'unshiny' without a LOT of care.
So for any coated wheels.. treat the same as paint.

I am Focused 03-08-2013 02:31 AM

Well mine are not painted silver. Check out the option for the polished alloy wheels for 2013's just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

HCAutoDetail 03-11-2013 12:50 PM

It's VERY likely they are coated. And it's almost certain they will scratch just like your paint. Nothing is impervious to scratching. Take as much care as you can to give them a long scratch free life.

Use lots of soapy water, a very soft brush, flush with water, follow with a microfiber mitt instead of towels and t-shirts, air blow them dry.

I am Focused 03-11-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCAutoDetail (Post 4630896)
It's VERY likely they are coated. And it's almost certain they will scratch just like your paint. Nothing is impervious to scratching. Take as much care as you can to give them a long scratch free life.

Use lots of soapy water, a very soft brush, flush with water, follow with a microfiber mitt instead of towels and t-shirts, air blow them dry.

Do you recommend polishes? Aluminum polishes from meguires, mothers, etc? If so, how often?