Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Exhaust specs (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311058)

Artplata 03-06-2013 09:49 PM

Exhaust specs
 
I have been doing research and wanted to get forum's opinion regarding cat-back exhausts. From what I have gathered all exhausts manufacturers have increased the stock size pipe to 2.25 inch diameter pipe adding their muffler and an exhaust tip to top it off. I was wondering if you have these local Mexican muffler shops just install a 2.25 diameter pipe just from cat to muffler, would that make a difference. Why would these companies charge so much for their product if these local shops can meet their specs at a fraction of the cost.

Your opinion is highly regarded, thanks in advance.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/a7y3eva4.jpg




Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent Cyan FF Mobile

suss6052 03-06-2013 10:01 PM

The higher quality aftermarket kits use mandrel bent stainless steel tubing vs crush bent steel/ iron/ non stainless steel/ aluminized steel tubing that your local exhaust shop would usually use which constricts the flow at every bend and would be worse than stock.

If you can find a shop that has a mandrel bender and can use good quality stainless pipes it might be ok, but most just use the cheap tube benders that crush or crimp the pipe in the process.

Jim_J 03-06-2013 10:38 PM

In Vegas aluminized steel will likely last the life of the car, so paying for stainless might be pointless.

Enough 2.25" stainless to do the exhaust would cost close to $200, or more retail, plus $150 for the muffler. 2.5" Aluminized steel would be $50 plus $100 for the muffler. Add labor and you can probably still beat that $650 plus labor magnaflow cat-back price, get dual out if you want, and support your local working stiffs.

Mandrel bends are better, but 2.5" crush bends would suffice I would think, especially with the cat in front of it.

That being said shops with mandrels are not that hard to find, there is at least one here in SD, probably one in vegas as well.

Sean05 03-07-2013 12:00 AM

my se sport had 2.25 piping in most of the exhaust....

darkangelism 03-07-2013 01:11 PM

fswerks is 2.5"

felixthecat 03-07-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artplata (Post 4623710)
I have been doing research and wanted to get forum's opinion regarding cat-back exhausts. From what I have gathered all exhausts manufacturers have increased the stock size pipe to 2.25 inch diameter pipe adding their muffler and an exhaust tip to top it off. I was wondering if you have these local Mexican muffler shops just install a 2.25 diameter pipe just from cat to muffler, would that make a difference. Why would these companies charge so much for their product if these local shops can meet their specs at a fraction of the cost.

Your opinion is highly regarded, thanks in advance.
If all your looking for is a different tone of noise= Why not just add a different muffler?





Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent Cyan FF Mobile

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4623740)
The higher quality aftermarket kits use mandrel bent stainless steel tubing vs crush bent steel/ iron/ non stainless steel/ aluminized steel tubing that your local exhaust shop would usually use which constricts the flow at every bend and would be worse than stock.

If you can find a shop that has a mandrel bender and can use good quality stainless pipes it might be ok, but most just use the cheap tube benders that crush or crimp the pipe in the process.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean05 (Post 4623970)
my se sport had 2.25 piping in most of the exhaust....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is what you have^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangelism (Post 4624726)
fswerks is 2.5"

If you want to get a desent quality system, here you go. ^^^^^^^^^^^

RonMaiden 03-07-2013 01:48 PM

Crush bent or mandrel bent has negligible horsepower diff on a naturally aspirated car. As long as you keep the bends to a mild degree you'll get pretty much the same results for cheaper unless you are squeezing every bit of HP you can get then spend some money.

Artplata 03-07-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMaiden (Post 4624816)
Crush bent or mandrel bent has negligible horsepower diff on a naturally aspirated car. As long as you keep the bends to a mild degree you'll get pretty much the same results for cheaper unless you are squeezing every bit of HP you can get then spend some money.

The shop near my home will do a 2.5 inch pipe from cat to muffler for $120. I intend to keep muffler for now. Is it worth the spend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent Cyan FF Mobile

Jim_J 03-08-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artplata (Post 4624924)
Is it worth the spend?


That's a question only you can answer. The real restriction on this exhaust is the cats, and everything I have read leads me to believe the engine responds better to intake mods than exhaust. I would save up and replace the muffler as well all in one shot.

felixthecat 03-09-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artplata (Post 4624924)
The shop near my home will do a 2.5 inch pipe from cat to muffler for $120. I intend to keep muffler for now. Is it worth the spend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent Cyan FF Mobile

I'd pass & put the $ some where else. Intake or suspension.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.