Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Tutorial: How to install HID's in Fog Lights (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310833)

slinkmerc 03-04-2013 02:23 PM

Tutorial: How to install HID's in Fog Lights
 
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, if it's not please forgive me and move to correct place please.

My car: 2002 ZX3 This should apply to foci with 899 fog lights(Correct me if i'm wrong please)

What I needed for the conversion: Ratchet with 10mm socket ( I used a 1/4 inch ratchet), A phillips head screw driver, and a 10mm---> thing I dont know what it's called but it is pictured below,Electrical Tape, and of course the HID kit, which is the 880 kit
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0289.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0274.jpg

First I started by lying on my back and peeking under the bumper (if your car is lowered I would suggest you use a jack and jack stands).
I unplugged the connector to the 899 fog light and twisted the bulb and pulled it out.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0277.jpg

YAY!! it's out, now install the HID bulb in the reverse order of the 899 bulb.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0279.jpg

Now take the two prongs that are part of the HID assembly and stick them into the cars wiring harness RED mating to the GREEN SIDE and BLACK MATING TO BLACK (refer to picture) Once that is hooked up tape that sucker with electrical tape!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0280.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0282.jpg

I apologize for the picture being blurry, camera wouldn't focus[thumbd] but you get the idea right?

Next is time to hook everything up to the ballast and I'll just show you how to do that as opposed to me trying to find the words to explain it.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0273.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0284.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0285.jpg

You are pretty much done at this Point fog lights should look like this:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0290.jpg

Once you do the one side the other side is exactly the same! :)

Edit:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0306.jpg
Nightime, No one had to pull over when in front or next to me. i was even behind cops and wasn't pulled over, no problems basically. I believe i can safely say that HID's in fogs are ok if done correctly. But headlights are a seperate beast.


Edit #2: Will post better picture of the beam from a farther distance but for now this is all I have.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0309.jpg

My kit came with a mounting bracket plus screws so i screwed the bracket to the ballast and mounted on the piece of metal directly behind the fog light assembly, your kit might come with a sticky pad which makes mounting a little easier. Goodluck! and hope I helped.
In case you were wondering the tools were for mounting bracket for the ballast.


Edit#3
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0313.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMAG0315.jpg

Here is halogen vs HID low beams, and high beam halogen VS low beam HID (I do not have High beam HID's)

GreySkorpion 03-05-2013 12:32 PM

Those are nice. Are they blinding at all? Also the grey/silver craftsman tool is called a nut driver.

Next question is, where did you get the kit? It looks to be a 6000k or 8000k, usually people put 3000k in fogs.

slinkmerc 03-05-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyScorpion (Post 4621075)
Those are nice. Are they blinding at all? Also the grey/silver craftsman tool is called a nut driver.

Next question is, where did you get the kit? It looks to be a 6000k or 8000k, usually people put 3000k in fogs.

I got the kit off of some local vendor here in San Diego, but you can get the same kit I did from fleabay. The kelvin color is 6000. Thank you for informing me of the name if the craftsman tool. I don't like the 3000 kelvin color I think it looks tacky. I aimed the fog lights with a machine so they don't blind anyone, so far it works well and it looks good. I will be doing my headlights soon and will be posting a tutorial on that.

I know putting HID's in stock headlights is a touchy subject but aiming them correctly shouldn't blind anyone, in my opinion.

distroy3d 03-05-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinkmerc (Post 4621240)
I got the kit off of some local vendor here in San Diego, but you can get the same kit I did from fleabay. The kelvin color is 6000. Thank you for informing me of the name if the craftsman tool. I don't like the 3000 kelvin color I think it looks tacky. I aimed the fog lights with a machine so they don't blind anyone, so far it works well and it looks good. I will be doing my headlights soon and will be posting a tutorial on that.

I know putting HID's in stock headlights is a touchy subject but aiming them correctly shouldn't blind anyone, in my opinion.

It is a touchy subject [:p] I'm not gonna' attack you for it like some people do, but the fact is the reflectors were designed for a small focal point of light from the filament on a halogen bulb. HIDs have an arc of light that compromises the focal point so regardless of how you aim them, it will reflect light upwards into other people's eyes instead of onto the road.

I've seen people who aim them low and it isn't as blinding, but these are usually only in cars with separate high/low beams such as my friend's Prelude and some of the newer Civics. From what I've seen of Focuses who do this (in comparison to say, Civics which have separate high/low bulbs) is since the bulb uses an arc of light, it lights up where the high-beam filament would be on a stock H4 bulb making the consequences even worse than if it were in a single-filament bulb. But that's just my opinion. I'll see if I can find a pic I saw before of a Focus using HIDs in their reflectors and how the high-beam is lit up in a way where no matter how low you aim them, you will be blinding someone.

In the end, to each their own I suppose. I don't attack people who do it, but I do try to inform them of what they are doing and how in the end it negatively impacts everyone, even themselves as they probably get less usable light on the road as opposed to high-performance halogen bulbs, like Hella and Piaa bulbs.

EDIT:
Here's the pic of a guy with 6,000K bulbs in his Focus. You can see how high the hot-spot from the HID bulb is and how it just floods the entire area above the car. It isn't concentrated at all on the road. This is why I don't believe you can aimyour headlights down enough to make HIDs useful with on-the-road light and not blind people.
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t...i/AMBA0007.jpg

slinkmerc 03-05-2013 05:12 PM

You prove a great point friend. I will be posting the tutorial for poor people such as myself who cannot buy projector beam headlights. If I cant find a way to use HID's safely in the stock headlight I will revert to halogens and will not be posting anything. :)

distroy3d 03-05-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinkmerc (Post 4621532)
You prove a great point friend. I will be posting the tutorial for poor people such as myself who cannot buy projector beam headlights. If I cant find a way to use HID's safely in the stock headlight I will revert to halogens and will not be posting anything. :)

Like I said, to each their own. I'm not in your neighbourhood so it won't bother me lol. But regardless, I think you won't be happy with them - especially when you get that first ticket from a cop! There are lots of alternatives to use HIDs safely.

You can grab a set of Machs. They usually go from $200-$350 in varying condition from what I've seen.

You can try to find a set of Hella projectors like the ones in my avatar. They're rare though and aren't designed for HIDs, but take well to them anyways with a good cutoff and no glare. The beam width isn't the best though. I got mine for $200 off Kijiji.

You can try to grab a set of the new Hella projectors that they have group buys for. They're brand new and designed for HIDs if you get the HID version instead of the Dynabeam ones. They're costly though at a tad over $500 I believe.

You can grab a pair of eBay projector headlights for anywhere from $40-$100 and throw an HID kit in. Won't be blinding, but the projectors are low quality and don't do much better than halogens in stock reflectors.

Lastly, you can do a full retrofit. Those are I believe $300 but one of the best quality and most unique setups. If you end up buying HIDs for your reflectors and change your mind, you can save money on the retrofit by using the "Plug-and-Play upgrade to Bi-Xenon" kits from The Retrofit Source and reuse your own ballasts. Saves you about $75 I believe on your retro.

Just some other options for whether you choose you don't like your reflector HID setup. In the end, you get what you pay for.

slinkmerc 03-05-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distroy3d (Post 4621553)
Like I said, to each their own. I'm not in your neighbourhood so it won't bother me lol. But regardless, I think you won't be happy with them - especially when you get that first ticket from a cop! There are lots of alternatives to use HIDs safely.

You can grab a set of Machs. They usually go from $200-$350 in varying condition from what I've seen.

You can try to find a set of Hella projectors like the ones in my avatar. They're rare though and aren't designed for HIDs, but take well to them anyways with a good cutoff and no glare. The beam width isn't the best though. I got mine for $200 off Kijiji.

You can try to grab a set of the new Hella projectors that they have group buys for. They're brand new and designed for HIDs if you get the HID version instead of the Dynabeam ones. They're costly though at a tad over $500 I believe.

You can grab a pair of eBay projector headlights for anywhere from $40-$100 and throw an HID kit in. Won't be blinding, but the projectors are low quality and don't do much better than halogens in stock reflectors.

Lastly, you can do a full retrofit. Those are I believe $300 but one of the best quality and most unique setups. If you end up buying HIDs for your reflectors and change your mind, you can save money on the retrofit by using the "Plug-and-Play upgrade to Bi-Xenon" kits from The Retrofit Source and reuse your own ballasts. Saves you about $75 I believe on your retro.

Just some other options for whether you choose you don't like your reflector HID setup. In the end, you get what you pay for.

Thank you for the information, but as far as my financial status and probably a lot of people are on the same boat as I am. I can't afford 300$-500$ Projector Beams/wasting time on 40$ fleabay projectors that are BS + don't look appealing. But good information nonetheless.[thankyou]

distroy3d 03-06-2013 01:02 AM

I agree. It isn't cheap. Honestly, I suggest you go high-performance halogen (Hella, Piaa, etc) over HID. But like I said, I won't attack you on a forum for what you do, and in the end it's what you wanna do to make your car stand out from the crowd :)

rambleon84 03-06-2013 08:55 AM

Can you post a picture with the light projected at a wall, about 20 feet away or so? I'm curious to see how high the hid fog light gets thrown/scattered. I'd assume since they are so low on the car and they are generally aimed several inches lower than your headlights, it should be better than dreaded hid in stock headlight housing.

slinkmerc 03-06-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambleon84 (Post 4622611)
Can you post a picture with the light projected at a wall, about 20 feet away or so? I'm curious to see how high the hid fog light gets thrown/scattered. I'd assume since they are so low on the car and they are generally aimed several inches lower than your headlights, it should be better than dreaded hid in stock headlight housing.

Sure, I'll post that later today


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp