Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Advice for a 2001 Focus SE with rough idol (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310489)

bwaymama 02-28-2013 03:41 PM

Advice for a 2001 Focus SE with rough idol

I have a 2001 Focus that is struggling in drive,a little in park but not in reverse. It use to be my dad's car before he died and I just cant part with it. He was meticulous about maintenance on the vehicle. I hadn't been driven in 6 months when I got it. I drove it for two months and it just died on my way home. It was sputtering in drive and when I finally got it home, it would not turn over, but it did crank. We replaced the fuel pump assembly and the fuel filter and it was perfect...for about two weeks. Now it is struggling in drive and I am scared to drive it. It is throwing 4 codes P1131 (o2 sensor) P0460 (Fuel Level Sensor) P1406 (EGR Valve or DPFE Outdated) and P0456 (Poor Vapor seal/ damaged fuel vapor line)

For the P0456 I checked the gas cap and it is sealed tight. Which one of the above is what is causing the problem of struggling in drive?

Any help would be appreciated!

zetecDon 02-28-2013 04:12 PM

Moved to "General Technical Chat".

FocusRus 02-28-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwaymama (Post 4613677)
I have a 2001 Focus that is struggling in drive,a little in park but not in reverse. It use to be my dad's car before he died and I just cant part with it. He was meticulous about maintenance on the vehicle. I hadn't been driven in 6 months when I got it. I drove it for two months and it just died on my way home. It was sputtering in drive and when I finally got it home, it would not turn over, but it did crank. We replaced the fuel pump assembly and the fuel filter and it was perfect...for about two weeks. Now it is struggling in drive and I am scared to drive it. It is throwing 4 codes P1131 (o2 sensor) P0460 (Fuel Level Sensor) P1406 (EGR Valve or DPFE Outdated) and P0456 (Poor Vapor seal/ damaged fuel vapor line)

For the P0456 I checked the gas cap and it is sealed tight. Which one of the above is what is causing the problem of struggling in drive?

Any help would be appreciated!

Well. let me see..... P1131-lean, Bank no.1: There is a fuel restriction-or- There is enough fuel during combustion (vacuum leak), this would cause "struggling" in drive ( and anywhere else)
P1406-DPFE Sensor downstream hose.....check for a damaged hose(s) going from sensor on firewall down to egr pipe....
P0456- this is the "infamous" small leak detected code....I have this and ignore......[^]
P0460-fuel Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction: Now I believe that this is due to poor wiring @ the fuel level sensor itself, or atleast @ the input wiring harness connector.....check it out. yes.....you might have to remove the fuel tank again....probably bunched (pinched) wires on install....happens.
Now, when I recently had code P1131 it was due to a high idle problem....vacuum leak in the PCV hose (split).