Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Cheap alternative to a clearbra? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310296)

ralck 02-26-2013 08:40 PM

Cheap alternative to a clearbra?

I was watching some Plasti-dip videos on Youtube and saw some videos about the glossifier. That got me thinking... can you put glossifier straight onto paint, or does it have to be on top of Plasti-dip?

If you can put it on your paint directly, I wonder if it could act like a clearbra by protecting your paint but not really being visible? Even if you had to reapply it every year or so, at $100-200 per application, it would seem like you could save a good chuck of money over the long-term.

Anyone ever try something like this?

jinstall 02-26-2013 08:49 PM

Nothing good ever comes cheap.

GoldenHour 02-26-2013 09:21 PM

cheap alternative = live dangerously and let the paint chip. i have more than 8k miles on my focus with no chips that i can see.

Budderybunz 02-26-2013 09:23 PM

Yes you can spray the glossifier directly on paint, how good it will look idk

Twenty 02-26-2013 09:26 PM

One or two hundred per application? After only a couple of years you'll be around the cost of a permanent 3M application on the nose.

It'd likely look worse than 3M, and I'm not sure of durability or negative effects it'll have on the paint in the long run.

AfternoonShift 02-27-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenHour (Post 4610296)
cheap alternative = live dangerously and let the paint chip. i have more than 8k miles on my focus with no chips that i can see.

You live in a warm state tho. Not where the roads are filled with gravel and salt during the winter. :/

Pretty sure I'm leaning toward 3m on the front of the car, ESP since I snowboard 2-3 times a week.

HoneyBadger 02-27-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralck (Post 4610260)
I was watching some Plasti-dip videos on Youtube and saw some videos about the glossifier. That got me thinking... can you put glossifier straight onto paint, or does it have to be on top of Plasti-dip?

If you can put it on your paint directly, I wonder if it could act like a clearbra by protecting your paint but not really being visible? Even if you had to reapply it every year or so, at $100-200 per application, it would seem like you could save a good chuck of money over the long-term.

Anyone ever try something like this?

Why not get one of those hood deflectors? The chips on my car is all on my hood.

OPsDad 02-27-2013 10:19 AM

I was quoted 800 bucks for a real, not fly-by-night, pro-applied clear bra. For that, I can get the paint job redone on the front of the car. Wax, maybe a deflector is my choice.

Yanner 02-27-2013 10:20 AM

I saw a bmw 3-series with plates from a province across the country on the highway, with 3m painter's tape covering the whole nose.

RonMaiden 02-27-2013 11:23 AM

I saw a deal for a clear bra for just 12-15" up the hood for $125 which is where the chips will most likely show up vs the painted plastic of the frontend. I'm probably going this route.