Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   bumps jerk the car to the side on bumps (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310160)

bp944 02-25-2013 08:05 AM

bumps jerk the car to the side on bumps

When I take the large turns on the highway and the car hits a bump, I can feel the car jump to the side. Lets say I'm taking a sweeping right turn at 50. I hit a small bump in the road and the car jumps a little to the left. Its not enough to be warranted as dangerous but its quite unnerving. Is this due to bad struts/shocks or just bad tires. The tires are near the end of their life.

Ajr252 02-25-2013 09:22 AM

Wheel bearings? Jack the car off the ground and see if you can make the tyre move (with your hands) side to side. I just had to replace a back left bearing. It was moving the car around the road from time to time.

gondorian 02-25-2013 09:23 AM

My car used to do this before I did the whole rear suspension. I think it was a combination of bad bushings and worn out shocks.

bp944 02-25-2013 09:38 AM

Is there supposed to be some sort of dust cap on the front wheel bearings? I got the car and it doesn't have anything on top of the axle nut. You can see the axle nut just sitting there when the wheel is on. (If it does....I'm guessing its the wheel bearings).

When you say bushings, are you just thinking the sway bar bushing or more?

What is the cheapest way to fix this all? The car has 290k miles and I'm looking to go cheap on it. Can I get used struts/springs and be okay? In a perfect world, I'd love to get some cheap coilovers so that I could lower the car for better MPG.

I was looking at the rear suspension and the springs look new. They are black and have no rust/scratches/etc. I'm assuming a 290k mile springs would be a lot worse.

bringler26 02-25-2013 12:07 PM

poor rear alignment will do it too. Your car probably has too much toe out. moving you to the wheels tires brakes section for more answers.

Ger's 2012 Focus 02-25-2013 12:28 PM

Sounds like poor judgement in driving thru turns, if ya ask ME!

my_beautious_ZX3 02-25-2013 01:16 PM

x2 on the rear suspension & alignment suggestions. Although, even with new Eagle GT's, new suspension, and fresh alignment, I still get some rear wheel hop in bumpy corners.

OP - some degree of hop is just a fact of life with the lightweight rear-ends of a compact hatchback.

bringler26 02-25-2013 04:43 PM

I think what he is referring to is more like a wiggly butt. if your rear tires are hopping over bumps through corners I would advise not hitting such large bumps...

This feeling can be exaggerated if you lift of the gas or brake hard while cornering. Also known as lift induced over steer.

mac.mogul 02-25-2013 04:51 PM

It seems like maybe the shocks are worn out.

My Mustang would do the same thing because it had a solid rear axle, but if your shocks are worn out, you're going to end up with the same problem.

If you've got as many miles as you say you do, I would recommend a full suspension refresh down to the bushings.

my_beautious_ZX3 02-25-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bringler26 (Post 4608164)
I think what he is referring to is more like a wiggly butt.

nah, that only affects women over the age of 30