Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   I thought this car got good MPG?! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310131)

Njk570 02-24-2013 09:09 PM

I thought this car got good MPG?!

Ok, so everything about the car is fantastic..BUT. I have not seen anywhere near the Average Rated MPG. I bought this Focus Used, its a 2012 Sedan Titanium, that came with just about 25000 miles. I drive this car everyday and the whole reason i bought this was because of the MPG, im averaging 27.8 mpg. about 75% highway and 25% rural road area. Call me crazy but i believe something is wrong here. I don't by any means drive like an insane person, i gradually gain speed and use cruise control a lot. I live in central Pennsylvania so the temp is low to mid 30s right now in the day time. I know gas mileage decreases in cold weather, but seriously....getting 10 less than the rate mpg is a little ridiculous. Anybody have any recommendations?

Joeywhat 02-24-2013 09:16 PM

Cruise control can kill mileage when the road isn't straight and flat.

Also, winter gas will easily get you 2-3mpg less vs summer gas, sometimes it's even worse.

Also, the combined rating for your vehicle should be about 31 mpg. the 38 rating is for highway ONLY, and any city driving will bring that down considerably.

Also remember that EPA estimates are based off conditions most drivers never encounter. Driving above 60-65mph on the highway will start killing mileage as well, and taking too long to get up to speed can also negatively effect mileage in many cases.

In short, the EPA ratings are junk and should be used solely to compare different vehicles, and rarely represent actual mileage you will obtain.

Njk570 02-24-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 4606672)
Cruise control can kill mileage when the road isn't straight and flat.

Also, winter gas will easily get you 2-3mpg less vs summer gas, sometimes it's even worse.

Also, the combined rating for your vehicle should be about 31 mpg. the 38 rating is for highway ONLY, and any city driving will bring that down considerably.

Also remember that EPA estimates are based off conditions most drivers never encounter. Driving above 60-65mph on the highway will start killing mileage as well, and taking too long to get up to speed can also negatively effect mileage in many cases.

In short, the EPA ratings are junk and should be used solely to compare different vehicles, and rarely represent actual mileage you will obtain.

The highway is mostly flat, and i dont live in a city. Theres no red lights, just stop signs, that i never even stop at.. Not to mention i tested this driving 55mph. So i cant imagine driving 60-65 then.

felixthecat 02-24-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Njk570 (Post 4606662)
Ok, so everything about the car is fantastic..BUT. I have not seen anywhere near the Average Rated MPG. I bought this Focus Used, its a 2012 Sedan Titanium, that came with just about 25000 miles. I drive this car everyday and the whole reason i bought this was because of the MPG, im averaging 27.8 mpg. about 75% highway and 25% rural road area. Call me crazy but i believe something is wrong here. I don't by any means drive like an insane person, i gradually gain speed and use cruise control a lot. I live in central Pennsylvania so the temp is low to mid 30s right now in the day time. I know gas mileage decreases in cold weather, but seriously....getting 10 less than the rate mpg is a little ridiculous. Anybody have any recommendations?

What was it getting last summer= warmer weather? Or did you just get it? I'd wait till you get some desent weather. Hows you air filter? At 30,000 I'd get your fuel injecters cleaned.

Njk570 02-24-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4606689)
What was it getting last summer= warmer weather? Or did you just get it? I'd wait till you get some desent weather. Hows you air filter? At 30,000 I'd get your fuel injecters cleaned.

I just got it less than a month ago, and i havnt checked the air filter.And what do you recommend for changing the fuel injectors?

I Bleed Ford Blue 02-24-2013 09:48 PM

I have a little over 8K on my Ti and I hit 40 mpg just this past Thursday. I reset the avg mpg counter right as I got onto the highway and set the cruise right at 60. Just as I approached the exit I peaked at 40.1 mpg, while I was slowing to a stop it climbed to 41.9

BTW here in the Cleveland area (because of the pollution) we have to run E10 year round.

Njk570 02-24-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue (Post 4606712)
I have a little over 8K on my Ti and I hit 40 mpg just this past Thursday. I reset the avg mpg counter right as I got onto the highway and set the cruise right at 60. Just as I approached the exit I peaked at 40.1 mpg, while I was slowing to a stop it climbed to 41.9

BTW here in the Cleveland area (because of the pollution) we have to run E10 year round.

Thats what i use here in PA

raptor1956 02-24-2013 09:56 PM

Cruise control isn't likely to be the problem and is usually better than your foot at controlling speed unless your in hilly country, particularly rolling hills.

The MK3 FF is good to great at mileage if you can cruise but if you are stuck in stop-and-go driving the mileage really drops off the table. I can drive a section of city roads with a speed limit of 35-40mph and get over 40mpg if, IF I can avoid traffic lights and stop-and-go, but if I hit the lights badly or the traffic is bad the mileage can drop down towards 20mpg -- OVER THE SAME STRETCH OF ROAD.

Brian

Njk570 02-24-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor1956 (Post 4606723)
Cruise control isn't likely to be the problem and is usually better than your foot at controlling speed unless your in hilly country, particularly rolling hills.

The MK3 FF is good to great at mileage if you can cruise but if you are stuck in stop-and-go driving the mileage really drops off the table. I can drive a section of city roads with a speed limit of 35-40mph and get over 40mpg if, IF I can avoid traffic lights and stop-and-go, but if I hit the lights badly or the traffic is bad the mileage can drop down towards 20mpg -- OVER THE SAME STRETCH OF ROAD.

Brian

Theres not many hilly roads where im from. Mostly straight.

Milwaukee, WY 02-24-2013 10:05 PM

I was personally averaging 31 MPG all last summer and fall, but since the cold weather set in and with the winter blend fuel, I'm now averaging 27.4. If you look at the Monroney, it gives a range of mileages for the car. 27 MPG falls within this range.