Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Magnaflow or flowmaster! Which one and type? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310054)

FocusRage5119 02-23-2013 05:24 PM

Magnaflow or flowmaster! Which one and type?

I have a 2013 focus se and I want to get a better sound out if it. I'm not looking for performance so that's why I'm only replacing the muffler. Which brand of these two is best. And which model of that brand? I want to get the best sound without an entire exhaust system.

FoMoCus 02-23-2013 08:17 PM

I prefer magnaflow to flowmaster. I've only had one magnaflow setup but I loved it. I had a ranger with a 4.0, and I went with a universal oval magnaflow on that. To me it's deeper and not as loud as a flowmaster like a super 44 or a 40. It had a very good deep rumble and sounded good even at high rpms. Not raspy and not overly loud. I even had headers, 2.25 inch pipe, and no cat on that truck and it wasn't too loud for me. My focus has a flowmaster. I assume its a 40 series delta flow. It is extremely loud, and I do not like it. The exhaust before the muffler is all stock, then the muffler, then out to a slightly larger diameter tip. It is pretty raspy at high rpms, and even at idle it's obnoxious unless you really want loud sound. But it's all opinion. To me, magnaflow is a more quality sound, flowmaster might give you more direct flow, but it's a lot louder and not as smooth of a sound.

FocusRage5119 02-23-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoMoCus (Post 4605030)
I prefer magnaflow to flowmaster. I've only had one magnaflow setup but I loved it. I had a ranger with a 4.0, and I went with a universal oval magnaflow on that. To me it's deeper and not as loud as a flowmaster like a super 44 or a 40. It had a very good deep rumble and sounded good even at high rpms. Not raspy and not overly loud. I even had headers, 2.25 inch pipe, and no cat on that truck and it wasn't too loud for me. My focus has a flowmaster. I assume its a 40 series delta flow. It is extremely loud, and I do not like it. The exhaust before the muffler is all stock, then the muffler, then out to a slightly larger diameter tip. It is pretty raspy at high rpms, and even at idle it's obnoxious unless you really want loud sound. But it's all opinion. To me, magnaflow is a more quality sound, flowmaster might give you more direct flow, but it's a lot louder and not as smooth of a sound.

Thank you for this info. I think I'm going to go with a magnaflow!

zetecDon 02-23-2013 11:16 PM

Moved to "DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance".

FoMoCus 02-24-2013 01:09 PM

You're welcome, I'm glad it was helpful. Good luck with your setup. And some shops, albeit illegal, will offer to cut your cat out when you install the muffler if your city doesn't have emissions. I would recommend keeping it. The performance gain is negligible and it will make it extremely loud. If you really want more sound, you can always go back and put a high flow cat or remove it at a later date. I like to change one thing at a time so I can get exactly what I want.

Sonic_HedgeHog 02-24-2013 01:09 PM

Magnaflow and Vibrant are the ways to go

OPsDad 02-24-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog (Post 4606018)
Magnaflow and Vibrant are the ways to go

Did you really mean "and"? If so, what combination of their products do you think is best? Or did you mean "or"? [cool]

Sonic_HedgeHog 02-24-2013 03:05 PM

Magnaflow for mufflers, Vibrant for resonators. The combination of both is pure aural pleasure.

I've got an 18" Magnaflow and a 12" Vibrant. Sounds great, as quiet as stock cruising

OPsDad 02-28-2013 06:43 PM

I'm wondering: If you really want to improve performance and (hopefully) MPG, wouldn't you have to go at a minimum to Manifold back (and possibly even headers) to do so? Cat back seems like it wouldn't help all that much to me. On my F350 SuperDuty, I went Turbo back. I know it would be more money, but wouldn't it be worth it?

Sonic_HedgeHog 02-28-2013 07:13 PM

I'd vote for 2.25" upgrade personally