Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   if you could do it over would you get stick instead? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309920)

GoldenHour 02-21-2013 11:02 PM

this is for folks who drive a DCT. knowing what you know now would you go back in time and get a stick instead?

Elizabeth 02-21-2013 11:14 PM

"Sticks are for kids".. I HAVE to comment.
I am a 63 year old woman, and I drive a manual transmission car.
I would not own an automatic transmission vehicle. It has to have a clutch. Period. [chair]

Budderybunz 02-21-2013 11:18 PM

Why the sticks are for kids comment? So not necessary.

suss6052 02-21-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4602096)
I would not own an automatic transmission vehicle. It has to have a clutch. Period. [chair]

Correction it would have to have a clutch pedal for manual actuation of said clutch in order to be fully manual.

There are a lot of automated manuals around these days, the PowerShift 6DCT250 being one that has two clutches. Ergo its mechanically more a manual transmission with the software controlling the shifts and the clutch application rather than being a planetary automatic transmission with a torque converter.

6DCT250>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>6F35 to me.

However had they made a proper 6 gear manual available with a sufficiently tall overdrive ratio it would be tempting. Had I not gotten my Frosted Glass SEL I may have waited for an Ingot silver ST with the 6MT but it would have cost at least 2-4k more in the end due to giving up the rebates and other incentives for the performance version.

They wouldn't sell a car with a manual and Frosted Glass with rear disk brakes for the U.S., only Canada could get the SEL with the 5MT.

ShoOff 02-21-2013 11:34 PM

I own a Man. MK3 and couldnt imagine enoying it NEAR as much if i didnt have my stick!

GoldenHour 02-21-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budderybunz (Post 4602102)
Why the sticks are for kids comment? So not necessary.

i'm going to guess that you aren't 63 [:p].

hey it's a play on words from the old trix commercial.

GoldenHour 02-21-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4602108)
Correction it would have to have a clutch pedal for manual actuation of said clutch in order to be fully manual.

There are a lot of automated manuals around these days, the PowerShift 6DCT250 being one that has two clutches. Ergo its mechanically more a manual transmission with the software controlling the shifts and the clutch application rather than being a planetary automatic transmission with a torque converter.

6DCT250>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>6F35 to me.

However had they made a proper 6 gear manual available with a sufficiently tall overdrive ratio it would be tempting. Had I not gotten my Frosted Glass SEL I may have waited for an Ingot silver ST with the 6MT but it would have cost at least 2-4k more in the end due to giving up the rebates and other incentives for the performance version.

They wouldn't sell a car with a manual and Frosted Glass with rear disk brakes for the U.S., only Canada could get the SEL with the 5MT.

there's no way we're going back in time so let's just pretend that your car was available with a stick [:p].

GoldenHour 02-21-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

you are definitely in the minority but if you aren't driving a DCT this poll does not pertain to you [wave]!

Red Jay 918 02-22-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

[pray] Very Much Respect! Rep points headed your way!

VectorZ 02-22-2013 12:56 AM

I've had lots of stick shifts, but I've been very pleased with the DCT and I'm approaching 8k miles. MFT, that's another story.