Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Tires rotated; now pulls to the left (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309895)

Faygo Focus 02-21-2013 08:04 PM

Tires rotated; now pulls to the left

Got my oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer.

They suggested new wiper blades and tire balancing, which I declined.

Maybe I shouldnt have declined the balancing because now the car pulls to the left, most noticeably in the left lane of the expressway.

Should I see if the treads wear themselves back, or could this simply be due to balancing issues?

I was turned off to extra services when some guy hit me up for "windshield inspection", but maybe I should have done the rebalance.

Thoughts? How much is a rebalance anyway?

OPsDad 02-21-2013 08:12 PM

Pulling is typically not balance, but either alignment or inflation.

Obviously, checking inflation would be step 1, I think....

aperson9923 02-21-2013 11:08 PM

You need to have them aligned when they are rotated.

jdubhack 02-21-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson9923 (Post 4601954)
You need to have them aligned when they are rotated.

Uhhh... Are you suggesting an alignment with every rotation?

suss6052 02-21-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubhack (Post 4601962)
Uhhh... Are you suggesting an alignment with every rotation?

I think that's what they said, but I've never found an alignment to be necessary after every single tire rotation if the tires were wearing evenly and not pulling before hand.

ralck 02-21-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faygo Focus (Post 4601465)
Got my oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer.

They suggested new wiper blades and tire balancing, which I declined.

Maybe I shouldnt have declined the balancing because now the car pulls to the left, most noticeably in the left lane of the expressway.

Should I see if the treads wear themselves back, or could this simply be due to balancing issues?

I was turned off to extra services when some guy hit me up for "windshield inspection", but maybe I should have done the rebalance.

Thoughts? How much is a rebalance anyway?

Do you have the stock Continental tires or have you upgraded to something else? If you have upgraded, could you have directional tires that are now backwards on the car?

05focusST91 02-21-2013 11:29 PM

Probably off tire pressures or an alignment issue as said earlier, we do comp alignment checks at my dealer and mk3s are usually out slightly in camber/toe

jdetzel 02-21-2013 11:30 PM

If you car is shaking get your tires balanced. Balancing will not have any effect on pulling.

You shouldn't need to get an alignment when you rotate your tires.

You would think they would make sure the tire pressure is correct when they rotated the tires but check it anyway.

You could try swapping the two front tires. That may take care of it.

I just had mine rotated and thought I noticed a little drift that it did not have before. A few days later I don't notice it any longer.

Elizabeth 02-22-2013 12:21 AM

Rotating tires is a waste of money.
If you get it free, well maybe.
I would NEVER pay to rotate tires.
With the right inflation, tires will wear evenly across the tread.
True fronts wear out faster..
When the fronts are worn out, new on back and the rear to front.
Works for me.

StingRay 02-22-2013 01:52 AM

With how aggressive the factory camber angles are on the MK3, Proper inflation will cut down on uneven tread wear, but there will still be a slight imbalance.