Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   How do I disconnect the battery? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309380)

FamousMassacre 02-15-2013 10:12 PM

How do I disconnect the battery?
 
I can't for the life of my figure out how to disconnect my battery...

Any info?

suss6052 02-15-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamousMassacre (Post 4590959)
I can't for the life of my figure out how to disconnect my battery...

Any info?

Start with removing the ground cable on the left front strut tower, then remove the positive terminal which is the forward terminal on the battery. It would require removing part of the cowl shielding to undo the negative terminal, but the ground line will also act as a surrogate negative.

FamousMassacre 02-15-2013 10:25 PM

So I can disconnect the negative post of the battery from this?
http://content.screencast.com/users/...02-10_0138.png

I was thinking I had to go to the very back and get it from there.

To take off the negative, I just unbolt it from the back, right?

FamousMassacre 02-15-2013 10:26 PM

How do I take off the positive one?

suss6052 02-15-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamousMassacre (Post 4590993)
How do I take off the positive one?

It should just unbolt, however I'm not 100% sure on which size bolt/ nut it is, as I haven't had to remove the battery connections yet. If all you want to do is reset the computer removing the ground cable should be sufficient for this afaik.

FamousMassacre 02-15-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4591002)
It should just unbolt, however I'm not 100% sure on which size bolt/ nut it is, as I haven't had to remove the battery connections yet. If all you want to do is reset the computer removing the ground cable should be sufficient for this afaik.

No, I'm working with wires connected directly to the battery for a sound system.

How do you unhook the positive?

suss6052 02-15-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamousMassacre (Post 4591007)
No, I'm working with wires connected directly to the battery for a sound system.

How do you unhook the positive?

Didn't I just say it should unbolt or unscrew? If you're looking at the car it should tell you exactly how that attachment works. I don't have access to a service manual, but it should not require one to disconnect the positive terminal which is right in front of you. the only tricky one is the negative which is under the cowl.

Deftmetal 02-15-2013 10:49 PM

The nut gets loosened that faces up on the positive terminal. I see youve removed it in the picture. This style of clamp gets stuck on. The nut doesn't have to be removed just loosened. It's a 10mm bolt I think. This nut I'm talking about can not be used to make connections you would be better to just attach here
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...CFE24A54FC.jpg

Zoomed out a bit

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...CFEB539257.jpg

Or get new terminal clamp

FamousMassacre 02-15-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4591011)
Didn't I just say it should unbolt or unscrew? If you're looking at the car it should tell you exactly how that attachment works. I don't have access to a service manual, but it should not require one to disconnect the positive terminal which is right in front of you. the only tricky one is the negative which is under the cowl.

...really?

You just said I could disconnect from the ground on the right side of the car(facing the front).

I've never disconnected a battery like this and I have no idea what to do.

FamousMassacre 02-15-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftmetal (Post 4591017)
The nut gets loosened that faces up on the positive terminal. I see youve removed it in the picture. This style of clamp gets stuck on. The nut doesn't have to be removed just loosened. It's a 10mm bolt I think. This nut I'm talking about can not be used to make connections you would be better to just attach here
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...CFE24A54FC.jpg

Zoomed out a bit

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...CFEB539257.jpg

Or get new terminal clamp

So you're saying to connect my wire terminals here?:
http://content.screencast.com/users/...02-15_2254.png


I've had it where it is in the picture and it's been fine.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp