Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2.0 Duratec Clutch Torques (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309356)

VillageT 02-15-2013 06:10 PM

2.0 Duratec Clutch Torques

Does anybody have the bolt torques for the flywheel to crank, pressure plate to flywheel and the clutch housing to block?

Also I need torque specs for the bolts that hold the clutch slave cylinder to the clutch housing/trans case.

Thanks a bunch!!

whynotthinkwhynot 02-16-2013 10:23 AM

Trans to engine: 35 ft-lbs
Trans mount bracket bolts: 59 ft-lbs
Trans mount nuts: 35 ft-lbs
Trans mount center bolt: 98 ft-lbs

Slave cylinder bolts: 89 in-lbs.
Pressure plate to flywheel bolts: 21 ft-lbs (I suggest tightening these in 2 steps and across from each other)
Flywheel bolts: Procedure- Tighten bolts across from each other like you would wheel lug nuts.
Step 1: 37 ft-lbs
Step 2: 50 ft-lbs
Step 3: 83 ft-lbs

Flywheel to engine bolts MUST be replaced when the flywheel is removed. Failure to do so will come back to get you. Ask around, it's happened to several people on here.

VillageT 02-16-2013 09:17 PM

Thanks for the info-exactly what I needed. I was warned about the bolts on the flywheel, they are not cheap but I only want to do this job once so will bite the bullet on cost.

whynotthinkwhynot 02-17-2013 09:07 AM

Did you get a new DMF or an aftermarket flywheel?

VillageT 02-17-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4592714)
Did you get a new DMF or an aftermarket flywheel?

I bought and engine with about 12k on it and it came with clutch and flywheel. Unfortunately the former owner had taken the flywheel off for storage.

I have 160K on my current production clutch so I though I would stick with that. After lifting the production flywheel I can see why everybody is so anxious to get rid of it. I couldn't beat the deal I got on this engine though.

whynotthinkwhynot 02-17-2013 02:07 PM

Yeah, well the DMFs wear out with the clutch- that's the biggest problem with them. If you go back with a DMF the advantages are longer clutch life, smoother engagement, and easier low rpm engagement. The disadvantages you already know.

Exedy makes a 13lb steel replacement, but I have read that you want their clutch behind it for some reason. I have also read that Exedy will modify the flywheel for you to fit whatever clutch you want. No matter what you do, a clutch is expensive for a Duratec engine. I'm not sure if I will go for a solid steel replacement, aluminum (8lbs), or a factory DMF. That will depend on whether or not I change my engine when I change my clutch. Hopefully the clutch I have will last long enough for me to get the money up for a performance build engine at the same time. I'm not sure about all that either- it seems to me that lightweight flywheels and high spring rate clutches end up with shorter clutch life. It could be the drivers too, or that you just want to drive it like that because you can.

VillageT 02-17-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4593082)
Yeah, well the DMFs wear out with the clutch- that's the biggest problem with them. If you go back with a DMF the advantages are longer clutch life, smoother engagement, and easier low rpm engagement. The disadvantages you already know.

Exedy makes a 13lb steel replacement, but I have read that you want their clutch behind it for some reason. I have also read that Exedy will modify the flywheel for you to fit whatever clutch you want. No matter what you do, a clutch is expensive for a Duratec engine. I'm not sure if I will go for a solid steel replacement, aluminum (8lbs), or a factory DMF. That will depend on whether or not I change my engine when I change my clutch. Hopefully the clutch I have will last long enough for me to get the money up for a performance build engine at the same time. I'm not sure about all that either- it seems to me that lightweight flywheels and high spring rate clutches end up with shorter clutch life. It could be the drivers too, or that you just want to drive it like that because you can.

A friend that worked in Focus development said that even the NVH guys said the dual phase really wasn't necessary. If your going to use poly engine mounts with a light FW it might be pretty objectionable.

Actually my car performs pretty well with the DP. I have a FS Werk CAI and will next add a tube header and 2 1/4 exhaust system. I drive this thing about 60 miles a day so I need reliability.