Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Surging power delivery (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309212)

Juicedz 02-14-2013 06:45 AM

Surging power delivery
 
I have a 2013 Ford Focus se hatchback 5 speed with about 1600 miles on it. Since I drove it off the lot there have been 2 incidences where the powers delivery seems to surge down. Not quite a misfire but almost a hiccup in delivery I guess you could say. Yesterday in 2nd gear as I was increasing rpms it surged 3 times over a period of about 3-5 seconds. Should I have the PCM reflashed or is this a tuning issue? I've seen some dyno charts on this motor and some seem very choppy through the rpm range.

BetaDnB 02-14-2013 01:01 PM

I've had this happen multiple times. No rhyme or reason. It happens more to me when I'm at a cruising speed, but have had it happen while accelerating. I don't know what they'd even look at without a check engine light coming on.

Juicedz 02-14-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaDnB (Post 4588632)
I've had this happen multiple times. No rhyme or reason. It happens more to me when I'm at a cruising speed, but have had it happen while accelerating. I don't know what they'd even look at without a check engine light coming on.

That's what I was afraid to hear. It happened again today. Both times have been after leaving work. The car had obviously sat for a long period of time but within the first 5 minutes, under a load, while accelerating, the car will buck a few times before smoothing out. Then, no further problems for the rest of the trip home. It's a very quick issue but still shouldn't happen on a brand new car. Maybe the PCM learning the Maf/fuel tables on the new engine? Doubtful but just trying to come up with ideas.

BaseBlack2012 02-19-2013 07:17 AM

My car has almost 40k on it and starting doing this around 12k. I have complained over and over again and the ford service manager told me just to deal with it, its a problem with these cars that ford knows about but wont fix.

SPRAYPAINT 02-19-2013 08:15 AM

I have 28K miles and the only engine tune issue I have is at idle the engine stumbles and then smooths out... It started this only after I installed the header.

Juicedz 02-19-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaseBlack2012 (Post 4595929)
My car has almost 40k on it and starting doing this around 12k. I have complained over and over again and the ford service manager told me just to deal with it, its a problem with these cars that ford knows about but wont fix.

We'll, I'll be going in for my "scheduled 5000" service and bringing it up. Good thing I held off on completing their dealership survey. Wonder if I should let them know that so it can be treated more seriously. It's happened several times in the 2,000 miles since it was driven off the lot. Idle at start up seems a little rough at times as well. Gonna try the ms3 rear mount to see if that helps at all.

BaseBlack2012 02-21-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juicedz (Post 4597553)
We'll, I'll be going in for my "scheduled 5000" service and bringing it up. Good thing I held off on completing their dealership survey. Wonder if I should let them know that so it can be treated more seriously. It's happened several times in the 2,000 miles since it was driven off the lot. Idle at start up seems a little rough at times as well. Gonna try the ms3 rear mount to see if that helps at all.

I have over and over again at different dealerships, they tell me they cant find nothing wrong. I have taken two service managers for a ride with me and shown them the problem and they tell me that these cars do that and ford does not acknowledge its a problem. I'm just tired of messing with it.

Creative 02-21-2013 07:12 AM

Have you tried driving with traction control off, I always turn traction control off ad have not noticed this.

BaseBlack2012 02-21-2013 07:18 AM

LOL. My traction control has been "disabled" since it snowed on christmas and I couldn't get up a hill (tires are about done). It doesn't make a difference. I have tried premium fuel. It just doesn't give. I honestly think its that dual mass flywheel and those springs giving during speeding up. Its real bad when its cold. I just warm it up in the morning and deal with it.

Greg Morgan 02-21-2013 07:25 AM

well I guess it is not just me,,,my 2012 SE just done that to me on the 19 feb on the hiway, first time with 5000 miles on it ,,,sounds like I will be talking to ford about this also


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.