Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Emission/Transmission problems....HELP! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309205)

Cks69 02-14-2013 01:16 AM

Emission/Transmission problems....HELP!

Hello, I have an '02 SE DOHC with 79000+ miles and have some problems.....

All of a sudden the car started shutting down and the revs would go up and down at idle (at a stoplight, at a stop....)

Took it to a friend mechanic and notice that there was an air leak by the throttle body, and the MAF was pointed out by an engine code (dont remember the exact code number...P1XXX?)....so he told me that if it was a simple leak, we could just patch it with jb weld and go on with our life's. Also, that MAF was bad and needed to be replaced, and also, the air speed motor is shot.....(at least that is what I understood, it goes on the manifold and controls the air..??) someone please correct me on this last part....

He took it apart, and noticed that the manifold had several small holes. The holes where cause because the plastic melted. Apparently the cat is clogged and to much head was getting to the manifold and therefore it melted in a couple of spots......

He patched them up, and replaced the MAF and all is good now..... but as a temp fix, he disconnected the egr valve to prevent more heat to reach the manifold these few days to get the cat changed and the airspeed motor...once again, please someone correct me on this last part.

BUT!, when I was driving it to his shop, the transmission started to kick hard from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and OD would NOT kick in. WITH the OD button on or off the result would be the same, OD would not kick in. Oil level is OK, no engine light and no codes on the scanner.

Obviously, there is still the cat, egr and air speed motor issue that needs to be addressed........but would those issues be causing the transmission problems....could they be related????

...or my car just decided to crap out all at once......

Any guru out there willing to give me their point of view??

Thanks.

P.S. Glad to be aboard.

zetecDon 02-14-2013 01:17 AM

Welcome to Focus Fanatics! Moved your thread to "General Technical Chat" so you will be better helped.

ManiacalZX3 02-14-2013 04:14 PM

Well, what it sounds like is that you got a leak between throttle body and maf, the leaked caused engine to think it was running lean so it added fuel to compensate for too much and not enough fuel. The extra fuel (which it didnt need) caused the catalyst to melt which restricts hot gases from leaving the engine and built up causing excess heat causing plastic to melt.

MAF and/or IAC (idle air control) may or may not have been bad considering how bad your condition was at the point of diagnosis, since Im not their I really dont know.

Now the transmission may have gone into fail safe mode or just lost an input like a sensor signal, and may not be related. Its possible a sensor wire may have been burn/damaged form excess heat off the exhaust, or during repair a sensor may have come disconnected. I would go over all the wire under the hood and car to see if their is loose or damaged. If your friend has a good scan tool he should be able to look at the transmisson to see whats going on.

Also the transmission most of the time does not set a cel as the cel is for emissions issues with the engine. Hope in some way this helps.

Cks69 02-18-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacalZX3 (Post 4588925)
Well, what it sounds like is that you got a leak between throttle body and maf, the leaked caused engine to think it was running lean so it added fuel to compensate for too much and not enough fuel. The extra fuel (which it didnt need) caused the catalyst to melt which restricts hot gases from leaving the engine and built up causing excess heat causing plastic to melt.

MAF and/or IAC (idle air control) may or may not have been bad considering how bad your condition was at the point of diagnosis, since Im not their I really dont know.

Now the transmission may have gone into fail safe mode or just lost an input like a sensor signal, and may not be related. Its possible a sensor wire may have been burn/damaged form excess heat off the exhaust, or during repair a sensor may have come disconnected. I would go over all the wire under the hood and car to see if their is loose or damaged. If your friend has a good scan tool he should be able to look at the transmisson to see whats going on.

Also the transmission most of the time does not set a cel as the cel is for emissions issues with the engine. Hope in some way this helps.

Thanks for the reply......and here is an update.

The leak was patched.

Apparently, the CAT is clogged and was returning to much hot air via the EGR that caused the manifold to melt in a couple of spots, therefore the leak and the idle problems.

The manifold was patched with jb weld and as a temporary precaution, the EGR was disconnected and sealed until the CAT is replaced. (Hopefully within the next few days)

He also stated the IAC was shot. And the MAF I bought on line was bad as well.

The tranny problem was being caused by the MAF.

I installed another MAF he had laying around and voila!! the engine idle'd great and the transmission issue went away. Yes, the MAF was causing transmission problems (I think I dogged a bullet there).

So now the car is running fine (sort off) as the mechanic said the CAT needs to be changed and the IAC. The car is running fine, but still feels a little "off" when the car idles.

Is that related to the IAC that is bad?

Or its the CAT that is clogged and making the engine a little rough on idle.

Is there a way to actually test the CAT?

Also, Can someone tell me what CAT I can buy and have it replaced???????

I am very confused, and here is why......

The car is from CA. BUT was exported to Mexico, where it has Mexican tags and registration. I see cats on e@ay for as low as $50 (universal)....can I use one of those CATS?

They say they are not to be installed on CA cars, but since its not in CA anymore and I have one of those universal cats installed/adapted in the cars here (south of the border), can I just go ahead and install one of those and the car will be driving well, and will not have any issues with the car not running like it should?

Someone care to shine a light on this?

Thanks!!!