Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Updated clutch? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309076)

rrodda 02-12-2013 11:37 PM

Updated clutch?

I took my 2012 SE in for wiper recall deal and transmission software update which was last done Jan. 2012.
I received a message today, they need it 2 more days to install an "updated clutch".
What is with that, and does that mean some sort of break in procedure will be needed?

mark3inline 02-13-2013 09:52 AM

updated clutch

Your automatic trans is a manual shifted automaticly, a DCT, dual clutch trans. Your transmission software update is to control its shifting. Ford as well as other manufacturers have gone to DCT's for fuel economy, cafe ratings.

rrodda 02-13-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark3inline (Post 4586415)
Your automatic trans is a manual shifted automaticly, a DCT, dual clutch trans. Your transmission software update is to control its shifting. Ford as well as other manufacturers have gone to DCT's for fuel economy, cafe ratings.

I understand all of that, my question is about the installation of an "updated clutch"....what is that all about?

jdetzel 02-13-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrodda (Post 4586419)
I understand all of that, my question is about the installation of an "updated clutch"....what is that all about?

I am really interested to hear what the “updated clutch” is about as well.

You say took it in for a transmission update that was done Jan 12. Were you having transmission or clutch problems?

rrodda 02-13-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdetzel (Post 4586435)
I am really interested to hear what the “updated clutch” is about as well.

You say took it in for a transmission update that was done Jan 12. Were you having transmission or clutch problems?

I had a transmission update Jan. of last year but it seemed to be a bit lacking smoothness off the line lately, so I figured there was a new update in the last year.
If there were clutch problems I was not aware of them.

PratoN 02-13-2013 10:24 AM

I am SO going to your dealer. Free clutch replacements while the rest of us need BBB cases to get our cars looked at.

EDIT: But seriously, I'm assuming you had an oil leak and they needed to replace it. There was an updated clutch during the middle of the 2012 model year.

kam327 02-13-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrodda (Post 4586443)
I had a transmission update Jan. of last year but it seemed to be a bit lacking smoothness off the line lately, so I figured there was a new update in the last year.
If there were clutch problems I was not aware of them.

Could mean they are installing last year's 12B37 software update, but that shouldn't take two days. Could also mean they found oil leaking on the clutches and are replacing the whole clutch pack. You really need to call the service department and find out the details.

rrodda 02-13-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kam327 (Post 4586456)
Could mean they are installing last year's 12B37 software update, but that shouldn't take two days. Could also mean they found oil leaking on the clutches and are replacing the whole clutch pack. You really need to call the service department and find out the details.

The 12B37 update is being done. Separate from that is the clutch deal.

What I was told today is: "an approximate 14 inch round, half inch thick clutch plate is being replaced. In mid-2012 Ford came out with an improved material for this plate which should provide a smoother operating transmission."

PratoN 02-13-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrodda (Post 4586653)
The 12B37 update is being done. Separate from that is the clutch deal.

What I was told today is: "an approximate 14 inch round, half inch thick clutch plate is being replaced. In mid-2012 Ford came out with an improved material for this plate which should provide a smoother operating transmission."

Yes, that is a clutch. So either:

a) Your dealer isn't telling you that they found oil on it
or
b) You have the nicest dealership in America. (Are we talking Lincoln, California or Lincoln, Ontario?)

dan50 02-13-2013 12:30 PM

If the dealer says it's installing an "updated clutch" and it's taking a couple days to do it, they are probably installing a new set of clutch plates and seals. There does seem to be an upgraded clutch version out there and it would make sense this is what they would put in your car.

As it is a new clutch, the dealer will probably tell you a break-in period of 1,000 miles or so is required before the "green" clutch behaves "normally". In practice this shouldn't be a big deal, but if you notice a few shudders or other odd behavior early-on, don't panic as it may very well go away as miles accumulate.

This is actually good news as the original clutch and seals seem failure-prone.