Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Cupholder/console issues or opinions? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308940)

sean t. 02-11-2013 04:14 PM

Cupholder/console issues or opinions?

Hi all, I'm Sean... I've been looking into getting a newer ZX5 for my next car, but I have concerns about the cupholders...

It seems like if you got an XL drink, it would probably run into the dashboard? I've never had a car before where the cupholders were ahead of the shifter. Has anyone found that XL drinks don't fit in the cupholders snugly enough to hold them going around corners and such?

I know in my Taurus, it came with a really crappy cupholder design and after going through 2 different consoles, finally found one with really good designed cupholders, where I usually don't have a problem with drinks tipping or anything. (although the largest drink from the local gas station doesn't fit)... it looks like there's 3 or 4 different consoles for an MK1 focus (SVT, 00-01 vs. 02+, EDM), but the cupholders all look pretty similar and are all in the same place. Is one console better than the rest as far as cupholders?

Sorry to be a newbie with such a long post, but I just don't want to buy a car only to end up constantly disappointed by the cupholders!!!

FocusRus 02-11-2013 04:53 PM

Now that I think about it, I would like to know about this as well. Nothing larger than a 12 oz can so far...

mainest 02-11-2013 06:39 PM

I'm sorry to say, gentlemen, IMHO, cup holder size is hardly a legitimate criterion for choosing a car. Handling, speed/acceleration, braking, fuel economy, reliability, comfort, OK.
There are plenty of after market cup holders available at WalMart for whatever mode of transportation you choose. Good luck.

Focusblackzx5 02-11-2013 06:44 PM

and..I don't know if you have the ones in the door panels ? I think they are larger

FocusRus 02-11-2013 06:50 PM

No, lucked out with door cup holders. I was just wondering. But if you think I'm going to Wallyworld for one of those "top door panel types", ain't gonna happen. There's no "good luck" in that. Lol

macdiesel 02-12-2013 06:03 PM

If I have a bigger drink than its in my cup holders just take out the rubber cup holder and a larger drink will fit. I'm not talking 2 liter size sodas but you can get a larger cup in there when you remove the rubber inserts. Besides, my car is so stiff over bumps, likely to spill any thing bigger than a canon soda.

macdiesel 02-12-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainest (Post 4583468)
I'm sorry to say, gentlemen, IMHO, cup holder size is hardly a legitimate criterion for choosing a car. Handling, speed/acceleration, braking, fuel economy, reliability, comfort, OK.

Sounds like sean t does?

FocusRus 02-12-2013 07:31 PM

"When does the zetec kick in"
It already has....just look in front of you!

Sniper Focus 02-12-2013 09:00 PM

I have the '02+ EDM console and the cup holders work much better, when I thought they would be worse because they're smaller.

The stock ('02-07 USDM/SVT) cup holders are useless because whatever XL drink you have it will hit the dash, and the "normal" drinks aren't secure, so what's the point of the big hole?

The EDM cup holders are smaller and they secure the normal drinks nicely, I would auto-x with a drink in the car. If I get a "small base" 32oz cup it fits snugly in the rear holder. I don't buy gas station sodas larger than 32oz anymore even if all the sizes are the same price, so it works out for me.

rambleon84 02-13-2013 08:18 AM

I have not had any real issues with cup size. Yes, larger cups will hit the front console, may make the cups lean a little bit. For center consoles with out the armrest, there are an additional two cup spaces between the two front seats. I have not had a cup not be able to fit there. The '05-07s with out armrests have six places for cups/bottles (one in each front door sill for bottles.)

So six cup holders for a car that holds five passengers should be more than plenty. Also, stop drinking/using such large cups! Do you really need a 64oz cup of anything while driving lol