Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   2013 Transmission Grinding (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308843)

trelaflip 02-10-2013 12:40 PM

2013 Transmission Grinding

Hey everyone! Forgive me if this has been brought up in the past but I did some searching and seems like I can only find posts in regards to 2012 models.

I picked up my 2013 Focus Se (Auto) in September. Driving it off the lot I could hear this grind and notice gears slipping. I was quite surprised so I turned around and went back to the dealer. They advised me its normal and the dual clutch system will break in. A month later it was still doing it, so I took it back and they assured me again it was just the car breaking in.

Now February and 14,000Km (about 8700 Miles) on the car I notice this grinding and gears slipping to be even worse. It seems to happen in lower gears when starting off from a light or making turns. Happens in [D] and [S] mode. It's to the point I have to turn the stereo up just to not hear it. The sound is terrible to be honest.

I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get the car looked at again but I'm worried they will just tell me that's the nature of the beast. Just curious if other 2013 owners are having the same issue.

snow12 02-10-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trelaflip (Post 4581249)
Hey everyone! Forgive me if this has been brought up in the past but I did some searching and seems like I can only find posts in regards to 2012 models.

I picked up my 2013 Focus Se (Auto) in September. Driving it off the lot I could hear this grind and notice gears slipping. I was quite surprised so I turned around and went back to the dealer. They advised me its normal and the dual clutch system will break in. A month later it was still doing it, so I took it back and they assured me again it was just the car breaking in.

Now February and 14,000Km (about 8700 Miles) on the car I notice this grinding and gears slipping to be even worse. It seems to happen in lower gears when starting off from a light or making turns. Happens in [D] and [S] mode. It's to the point I have to turn the stereo up just to not hear it. The sound is terrible to be honest.

I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get the car looked at again but I'm worried they will just tell me that's the nature of the beast. Just curious if other 2013 owners are having the same issue.

They most likely will tell you its normal [mad] I think you are one of the first 2013s I have read of doing this.

Good luck!...still working on getting mine fixed [:(!]

trelaflip 02-10-2013 03:25 PM

I will definitely post up what I find out from the dealer. I really hope they can fix this as the sound is unacceptable. It's like nails on a chalk board :|

I hope other 2013 owners chime in.

powermax 02-10-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

I little bit of a clutch coupling noise its normal specially after long drives. Even a bit of shudder after long time in heavy traffic is normal. I've driven more than 10 focus (moslty 2012s and 2 or 3 2013s)mostly rentals and they all behave the same. Enjoy your car don't let what you read here bother you.

Elizabeth 02-10-2013 03:31 PM

Drove it off the lot? Why didn't you test drive BEFORE you signed the deal?
If I was trying a car and it sounded like that. no way would I have bought it.

fomenter 02-10-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

I have the same grinding noise with my 13 SFE. Mine is not as terrible as you described, but you hear it unless the radio is turned off. The dealer claims that it is the normal behavior of the power shift transmission. It is quite annoying...

trelaflip 02-10-2013 04:13 PM

Good info powermax. I do commute about 45 minutes everyday. As soon as I get into the city and start going with the flow of traffic that is when it all starts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4581482)
Drove it off the lot? Why didn't you test drive BEFORE you signed the deal?
If I was trying a car and it sounded like that. no way would I have bought it.

My car wasn't on the lot for the test drive as the Ford dealer had to order it in for me. I test drove the same model though which didn't have the same issues.

Elizabeth 02-10-2013 06:35 PM

A commnt for anyone. Whather you order ot buy off the lot you STILL have the right to test drive it, and check it out befor you accept it and sign off on it.
Just saying...
True they may baulk at a pre signing test drive. but they cannot refuse.

suss6052 02-10-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4581722)
A commnt for anyone. Weather you order ot buy off the lot you STILL have the right to test drive it, and check it out befor you accept it and sign off on it.
Just saying...

I definitely test drove a different car the first time I went down to the dealer, but only for a couple of miles as they were trying to have me look at one they already had in stock. However, I made sure to drive the car I ordered after it arrived before signing the paperwork and agreeing to pick it up.

It doesn't make sense to buy a car that you've never driven, at least when it was new. Now my previous car was a 5 speed manual and I didn't know how to drive it when I bought it, so I brought my father with me to test drive it, and then I drove it home after a brief lesson, but that was a $650 14+ year old car at the time.

powermax 02-10-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trelaflip (Post 4581528)
Good info powermax. I do commute about 45 minutes everyday. As soon as I get into the city and start going with the flow of traffic that is when it all starts.

My car wasn't on the lot for the test drive as the Ford dealer had to order it in for me. I test drove the same model though which didn't have the same issues.

Would have to be a really long test drive to get it to make the clutch coupling noise.