Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Shift Tower Roll Pin Question - Please Help (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308824)

e50095 02-10-2013 09:58 AM

Shift Tower Roll Pin Question - Please Help

I have what I suspect is the broken shift tower roll pin on my 06 ZX4. I removed the battery, battery box, and transmission mount. Both my cables are still connected and move the arms when you move the shifter around. I'm ready to try to take the shift tower out to fix it, but I don't know how to disconnect the shift cables where they connect to the shift tower arm. Can someone please educate me on that. I think if I can get them off without damaging or breaking them, that appears to be my last hurdle to getting the shift tower off.

thanks guys....

Ken in Pa.

wickedgreyzx3 02-10-2013 10:14 AM

There is a push connector on them. Push the button in and pull off.

Mine broke 2 years ago and you're going to want to make sure the pin falls out the drain plug

e50095 02-10-2013 10:26 AM

thanks man...got the top one off..the bottom is being stubborn...they don't appear to be the same connector exactly....still trying...

e50095 02-10-2013 10:29 AM

got it...thanks so much brother.......on with the mission.....

whynotthinkwhynot 02-10-2013 10:33 AM

Here, I made this thread a while back. First make sure you have the right parts before you begin. The bolt you need is a 6mm cap bolt (allen/hex socket), x whatever thread pitch x 30mm long. I detail the length in the thread so read carefully because the bolt I bought was not too long, but bordered on being too long. It could be 5mm shorter. You can also use a standard nut and blue threadlock if you can't get a nylock nut. Those can be hard to find for metric sizes sometimes.

Also keep in mind that 12.9 hardness is harder and better in this location that stainless steel. Stainless steel is harder than 12.9, but will crack and break before 12.9 does in shear locations like this one. 10.9 should be ok as well if that's all you can find. I couldn't find an SAE size that fits as well as the 6mm. 1/4 is slightly too big, but if you can find a #14, that might work. I used an allen socket because those are easier to get tools in tight spaces. As you can see in my thread, I had to use the flat side of a large flathead screwdriver to hold the nut while I screwed it in with the allen socket.

I hope I paid enough attention to all things important in this thread. I hope for you that you have the adjustment tool in your glove compartment. If not, I'm sure it's not expensive, surely not more than $10.

How to Repair a broken shift tower

whynotthinkwhynot 02-10-2013 12:54 PM

If you want to replace the pin with a pin, you need a spring pin, not a rolled pin. You'll see when you get everything out.

e50095 02-10-2013 03:20 PM

Oh no man.....it looks like the pin is still in there and is not broken. I'm not sure what its supposed to look like, but maybe you can tell from the picture. If that's the case I assume my clutch is gone. Do they just go with no warning? I double checked the shift cables and both seem to be working properly. On the clutch, I understand the flywheel needs to also be changed on these cars. Dual mass flywheel at rockauto is over $300 by itself. Add the clutch kit and new slave cylinder and I'm looking at $500 with shipping. I'm not sure if I have it in me to change the clutch in the driveway, especially being so cold. Anyway, if you can see the pin in the pictures and shoot me some advice I'd appreciate it...

Ken in Pa.
[IMG]C:\Users\kendall\Pictures\2013-02-10\096[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Users\kendall\Pictures\2013-02-10\097[/IMG]

e50095 02-10-2013 04:02 PM

http://s20.postimage.org/a1cdhghy5/096.jpg
http://s20.postimage.org/g4ty1d87x/097.jpg

whynotthinkwhynot 02-10-2013 04:13 PM

You see that collar that the pin is in- that pin should be flush with both sides. It appears to be broken by your picture although it might look like it is in place. Does that collar move with the big weighted shift arm, or does it stay still. Have you checked to see if you were able to move the pin in the shift selection area?

Furthermore, are you stuck in a gear or neutral- did you check when you removed the shift tower?

What were your original symptoms? Describe what happened?

e50095 02-10-2013 04:24 PM

I appreciate you expertise on this. I got off the interstate and came to a stop at the end of the off ramp. Light changed, I tried to put it in gear and the engine just revved. The shifter felt free. I could move it to try to put it in any gear, but it would not engage. It was stuck in neutral, so I drifted off the road and called the rollback. When I move the counterweight back and forth, the shaft turns, but not the piece with the pin sticking out of it. Does that mean the pin is broken inside?