Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What is this part called? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308816)

Capt. Obvious! 02-10-2013 07:16 AM

What is this part called?
 
While trying to figure out my electrical mystery problem I noticed a wet spot on the front of my engine. It seems to be coming from this black water, um thing? behind the exhaust headers. It's probably not visible with the stock exhaust manifold, but I can see it pretty well with my headers. It looks like it connects the water pump to the thermostat housing. I think it needs replaced, but I don't even know what it's called?

gonefhsn 02-10-2013 07:30 AM

Pics you help to to get you an answer sooner.

SrDudley 02-10-2013 09:37 AM

Almost sounds like your describing the thermostat housing... I'd post a pic. Got me lost

Capt. Obvious! 02-10-2013 10:15 AM

here is a pic, the outlined part is what I'm talking about. The blue is where I am seeing water. It seems to evaporate away very quickly once the car warms up??? [scratch]
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...psfa95cec4.jpg

TerryB 02-10-2013 10:24 AM

That's your oil separator. Maybe it's condensation. Unless you're seeing antifreeze. Then you have problems.

Capt. Obvious! 02-10-2013 10:30 AM

Well I checked the oil and the water and didn't see an sign of it mixing. I guess next time it happens I'll have to give it the old "taste test" to see for sure. Thanks

SrDudley 02-10-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious! (Post 4581014)
Well I checked the oil and the water and didn't see an sign of it mixing. I guess next time it happens I'll have to give it the old "taste test" to see for sure. Thanks

lol taste test have fun with that...i think your oil seperator is probably just clogged up causing condensation and as the car heats up it evaporates...pull your pcv valve and look inside im not sure how it comes off but maybe you could pull it off and give it a cleaning...

my .02$

TerryB 02-10-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrDudley (Post 4581114)
lol taste test have fun with that...i think your oil seperator is probably just clogged up causing condensation and as the car heats up it evaporates...pull your pcv valve and look inside im not sure how it comes off but maybe you could pull it off and give it a cleaning...

my .02$

Be very careful. As the rubber ages, it becomes very brittle. I snapped mine and had to improvise.

SrDudley 02-10-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryB (Post 4581157)
Be very careful. As the rubber ages, it becomes very brittle. I snapped mine and had to improvise.

what exactly are you talking about here out of curiosity? the rubber grommet the pcv valve goes into, the pcv hose, or the oil seperator itself?

TerryB 02-10-2013 02:32 PM

The elbow holding the PCV valve. I'm not the first one to do this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.