Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What is the power steering fluid recommended for the 2012 focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308803)

Calvin S 02-09-2013 10:11 PM

What is the power steering fluid recommended for the 2012 focus

I drive a 2012 Ford Focus 1.6L Ti-VCT Duratec Sigma Petrol, 6 speed powershift. The owners manual does not specify the power steering fluid to be used. Can anyone please help me on this?

wickedgreyzx3 02-10-2013 05:12 AM

It does not use fluid. It's electric assist.

whynotthinkwhynot 02-10-2013 10:49 AM

He's right, if there's not a reservoir for PS fluid under the hood, then there's no worries. The reservoir would be visible and marked with a pictograph- usually a steering wheel.

I think all Focis are now electric assist.

Calvin S 02-22-2013 09:15 PM

Hi,

My car does contain a reservoir for power steering fluid. What is the power steering fluid I should use?

jdubhack 02-22-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calvin S (Post 4603698)
Hi,

My car does contain a reservoir for power steering fluid. What is the power steering fluid I should use?

Pics or it didn't happen. The Mk3, as already stated, is an electric assist.

Calvin S 02-22-2013 09:31 PM

The reservoir cap clearly says 'power steering' and has the steering wheel symbol on it. Don't think it gets clearer than that.

jdubhack 02-22-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calvin S (Post 4603731)
The reservoir cap clearly says 'power steering' and has the steering wheel symbol on it. Don't think it gets clearer than that.

Pics?

amc49 02-22-2013 09:42 PM

If it uses fluid the owner's manual will state what type.............

Joeywhat 02-22-2013 10:04 PM

You should contact the dealer.

A quick Google search shows that the Focus available in your area with your specific engine may not have the electric steering assist. Since that vast majority of MK3 Foci do have this, you probably won't get an answer quick here.

Likewise, it very well may be in your owners manual.

suss6052 02-22-2013 10:42 PM

Its not listed in the UK ford owners guide even though they also have that 1.6L engine as a low level or base that was being replaced with the 1.0L EcoBoost i3.

However usually you can use either a dedicated power steering fluid, or some automatic transmission fluid like the following:

Quote:

Motorcraft® MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and Power Steering Fluid
Premium-quality dual-use fluid for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles
Can be used in vehicles requiring MERCON® V or MERCON® type automatic transmission fluid
Provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions
Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives
Provides excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures
Offers excellent thermal and oxidation resistance, as well as good low-temperature fluidity
Provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam
Provides protection against rust and corrosion
Dyed red for easy leak detection
Suitable for use as a hydraulic oil in a wide variety of industrial applications that call for an ISO 46 or SAE 20W viscosity grade hydraulic oil
Not for use in applications where MERCON® SP, MERCON® LV, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
Not for use in transfer cases
Recommended by Ford Motor Company
Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles, four (4) five-quart bottles, six (6) one-gallon units and 55-gallon units
Use of bulk fluid is environmentally proactive and bulk quantities are available at substantial savings
http://www.fordparts.com/products/ch...ionfluids.aspx

If your car is losing fluid so early in its life is this a concern for the Warranty, or is there not one that is very good there in Sri Lanka?