Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   MPG Mods - (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308783)

IngotMK3 02-09-2013 06:43 PM

MPG Mods -

Just picked up a new 13 hatch - what is everyone doing to up the mpg?

Im looking do intake, plugs and wires for just now but whe is everyone upgrading or using?

TIA

suss6052 02-09-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtwagon (Post 4580124)
Just picked up a new 13 hatch - what is everyone doing to up the mpg?

Im looking do intake, plugs and wires for just now but whe is everyone upgrading or using?

TIA

The car uses coil over plug coil packs, it doesn't have ht leads in the same manner as the older cars.

As to intake and exhaust modifications the Steeda and FSWerks combination seems to be popular, but you really need to search as most of these things have been discussed before.

slbenz 02-09-2013 06:57 PM

I put in a drop-in K&N filter and saw a 1-2 mpg increase.

IngotMK3 02-09-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4580147)
The car uses coil over plug coil packs, it doesn't have ht leads in the same manner as the older cars.

As to intake and exhaust modifications the Steeda and FSWerks combination seems to be popular, but you really need to search as most of these things have been discussed before.

Good to know - thanks man, noob to this car hah

Quote:

Originally Posted by slbenz (Post 4580154)
I put in a drop-in K&N filter and saw a 1-2 mpg increase.

Had the drop in on my last car (zx2) looking on FSwerks like the foam ITG one - might give that a try. Whats this res and snorkel delete that I keep seeing?

roderunner 02-10-2013 02:08 AM

I love good gas mileage and think the Focus does an excellent job of maximizing fuel economy with this car. They use some pretty neat technologies such as grill shutters, ADFSO (Active Deceleration Fuel Shut Off), electric power steering, "smart battery management", various engine mods, lots of aerodynamic treatment, low friction lubes and oils, low rolling resistance tires, etc. The best thing you can do to reach that potential is improve your driving style. To that end, they even provide optimal shift indicators and performance monitors you can take advantage of.

Other than driving style, keeping your tires properly aired and filters clean, there isn't much you can do in the way of improvement IMO.

If you read up about the snorkel removal, you'll find some seemed to improve performance in conjunction with other mods. Others reported a decrease in mileage. Maybe there was a reason Ford put it there in the first place?

As for the K&N, I used to be a fan, found it sounded cool but didn't really improve mileage any more than installing a clean filter. True, K&Ns admit more air, but since A/F ratio is closely governed and the stock filter operates nowhere near max air flow, the extra air is superfluous. You do get extra dirt in your engine though, dirtier oil and shorter engine life, if you're not planning on keeping the car for a long time, no-one will probably notice. Another (different forum) member who lives in AZ calls them "silica injectors"

In reality, filters are there to keep engines clean and minimize wear. It's hard to beat paper filters as this report indicates:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Other comparisons you can find on the internet show similar results.

If it were otherwise, wouldn't you think Ford (and others) would use them rather than spending hundreds per car on MPG upgrades?

Congratulations on your new car! You'll find lots of other great ideas to customize your car with on the forum! [8)]

incubus625 02-10-2013 09:37 AM

You gotta look at it from a cost stand point to. Intake and exhaust may get you maybe 1 mpg more. but the cost for that extra mpg is rediculous. What you could do is replace your tires with Lrr tires when the time comes, switch to 0w-20 motor oil, etc. I dont have the new focus but I have a fiesta. So I do plan on switching to better tires when the time comes.

turbosleepa 02-10-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incubus625 (Post 4580969)
You gotta look at it from a cost stand point to. Intake and exhaust may get you maybe 1 mpg more. but the cost for that extra mpg is rediculous. What you could do is replace your tires with Lrr tires when the time comes, switch to 0w-20 motor oil, etc. I dont have the new focus but I have a fiesta. So I do plan on switching to better tires when the time comes.

Is it wise to switch to a lighter oil? Wouldn't ford suggest it if it was safe to run it? The new mazda 3's run it so i am sure if ford thought it was safe they'd run it too. The new mazda3's run the engine on high idle for a bit when you first start it, maybe it has to do with the grade of oil.

IngotMK3 02-10-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incubus625 (Post 4580969)

That was the main car I wanted to get but, my dealer didnt have what I wanted and was like hmm might as well test drive the focus when I was still there, sure as [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] I liked that more/came home with it - drove better, more space, ect. Just all around more car for the $

Def doing the lightweight wheels and LLR tires when the all seasons wear out then replace them with snows.

Not sure about the oil but I will be adding a new drop in filter for now.

Roadworthy 02-11-2013 04:14 PM

From my experience, cold air intakes and certain drop in filters give only the slightest mpg increase as they tend to produce more power. Big test is to really drive the car in a manner that nets you the best mpg (slower accelerations, less idle time etc) and when you do performance upgrades, keep to that manner of driving to actually see the gains. A lot of users who have switched to a drop in or CAI/RAI have said they get a lot more noise and perceive more power.

Try free/reversible mods first!
1. Play with spark plug gaping
2. Take top of stock air filter off (make sure it is secure though)
3. Inflate tires above rated 35psi to near maximum of tire (at your own discretion)
5. Remove unneeded weight in car (in town trips and have AMA? take out the spare!)
6. Fuel up with different brands of gas, pay X amount for premium (not free but not a lot of $$)
7. If 5sp, shift sooner but at beginning of powerband
8. Turn that A/C off! Windows up
9. Make sure crankshaft position sensor is in the fully advanced position (take off front passenger tire, look to bottom left and see if the slotted sensor is pushed down as far as it can go)

Doing these things will give you an idea of what helps and what really doesn't. I've gone down as low as 4.5L/100km at 4c at 100KMH just with different spark plug gaping, coil wires (see Reduce spark plug dwell...) and having a light foot.

RonMaiden 02-11-2013 04:49 PM

Overinflating the tires will improve MPGss but wearing them out quicker will cost you more and with a smaller contect patch you also have less grip in corners. Don't overinflate.