Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Scariest Moment Yet (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308780)

cjanderson629 02-09-2013 05:26 PM

Scariest Moment Yet

Driving home at 2am this morning on the turnpike, the MFT screen froze. A flash showed up on the screen. It was an error message that looks like it would appear on a Windows PC. That quickly disappeared. Instantly, the MFT screen went black. No power, no music, nothing. All shut off. After that, the mini screen in the gauge cluster went black, followed by the LED backlights of the gauges, followed by the ambient lighting. I quickly pulled over thinking something was seriously wrong. I shut the car down, waited a few minutes, turned it back on and the MFT screen said Sync, then performed "Scheduled system maintenance." The loading bar did not finish, the screen went black for 5 minutes, then Sync reappeared, then the system maintenance completed. The rest of the way home was fine. This is the second time this week that the MFT screen has frozen and performed this update. But this is the first time everything turned off on me. Any ideas why this happened?

Kabigon 02-09-2013 09:09 PM

Hmmm...

I can tell you this much: MFT and the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) have nothing in common with the exception that they are connected to the same data (CAN) bus (and of course both require +12V).

AZfocus2012 02-09-2013 11:03 PM

My MFT did the same scheduled maintenance reboot/black screen twice in the last week also. The driver info center didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I figure this is Microsoft's way of saying you need to install the update that just came out.

84Camaro_L69 02-10-2013 12:04 AM

Interesting. Mine screen did the same thing back in December, but it didn't affect anything else on the car. I just got the letter in the mail about the update. I guess I'll do it to ensure I don't have another Sync reboot. What sucked was it was giving me directions in the middle of rebooting. Needless to say I got lost in an unfamiliar downtown city that I had never been in before until the system came back online. I'm glad to see someone else have it happen.

cjanderson629 02-10-2013 11:21 AM

I have the new update installed. But like I said, the system maintenance loading screen has come on twice in 3 days. No one else with the update is having this issue?

AZfocus2012 02-10-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjanderson629 (Post 4581067)
I have the new update installed.

Oh, maybe I will wait then before updating mine?

Pendarus 02-11-2013 11:24 AM

Sounds like some kind of low voltage situation. The MFT failed first, possibly because it is more sensitive to voltage drops. I would take it to the dealer and get the charging system checked.

OakvilleFocus 02-12-2013 09:10 PM

Welcome to MFT, Ford took a big risk putting this much tech into a car. Sadly it did not pay off. I've had MFT since day one in my 2011 Edge. Have recently purchased a 2013 Focus Ti, I'm obviously not that disturbed by it.

It took them 3 major revisions to get it anywhere near stable. As a professional software developer, I still notice significant platform issues that shouldn't exist in such a heterogeneous environment. Microsoft really screwed them over on this one, and I where Ford I'd be looking to sick some lawyers and see if I can partner with Google and have a major PR win both ways.

If anyone from Ford is listening, its time to release this to the real innovators of any platform - the open source community. They'll save your bacon, or what's left of it when it comes to the MFT system.

Kabigon 02-12-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OakvilleFocus (Post 4585494)
Welcome to MFT, Ford took a big risk putting this much tech into a car. Sadly it did not pay off.

The problem with the OP's car was clearly not caused by the MFT system.

"...the mini screen in the gauge cluster went black, followed by the LED backlights of the gauges, followed by the ambient lighting."

Quote:

Originally Posted by OakvilleFocus (Post 4585494)
Microsoft really screwed them over on this one,

Why would you say that considering that MFT is not a Microsoft product? That doesn't make sense.

OakvilleFocus 02-12-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4585541)
Why would you say that considering that MFT is not a Microsoft product? That doesn't make sense.

Well it is - It uses Windows CE as its base operating system, a Microsoft product. Many of the stability issues arise from a poor Bluetooth stack, and many other general issues with the Windows CE kernel.

Moreover you'd think Microsoft would be keen on helping Ford get a reasonable UI up and running to showcase their mobile platform, instead they where left to linger with a 3rd party solution on top of CE which just compounded issues.

End of the day Microsoft's PR machine will try to distance themselves from this whole debacle. To me that just screams - when you choose Microsoft anything - expect this level of support when something this major falls apart.

If I was Balmer, I would put my best engineers on this and make damn sure Ford had the best telematics experience bar none.

Anyways if there are any Ford folks monitoring this thread, PLEASE add a soft reset button buried in the options. I'm really getting tired of having to pull Fuse 29 in my Edge. So far its been fine on my Focus, but I don't see how a soft reset would hurt things.