Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Oil change time! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308664)

Andrews-bad-SE 02-08-2013 12:21 AM

Oil change time!

The time has come (after some road trippage, and a few months since last I did it) to change my oil.

I have an '03 Zetec sedan with 140k on the clock now. I have a short ram intake and flexback exhaust, and I don't race it too much at all. Really it's my DD.

So I'm looking for ideas on oil! I've been strictly using full synthetic since I got it, but brands? Filters? I need some input.

I hear that regular Motorcraft 5w20 Blend and a Motorcraft filter is absolutely fine, but I'm open to ideas.

Milton 02-08-2013 12:44 AM

Let the wars begin!

thomas12se 02-08-2013 01:43 AM

I think choosing a brand of oil is an intensely personal choice, fraught with danger to those that tout one brand over another on discussion boards, something like talking about your favorite brand of beer. That said, I'm very interested in what people have to say on the subject. I've always been a fan of Purolator / Mann or Bosch filters and just can't stand putting a Fram filter anywhere near my car. I've never been a big proponent of synthetic because I haven't had a new car lately, but I'm certainly willing to entertain the idea now because of my new(ish) ride. I actually have half a mind to get the oil changed at the dealer while the car is still under warranty.

JHMerriman 02-08-2013 01:51 AM

Can't go wrong with what Ford recommends. That's all I've used in my 2011 SE, no problems yet.

xxMichaelAnthony 02-08-2013 02:24 AM

Any name brand oil (I use Castrol) and a Motorcraft or Wix filter at regular intervals and you'll be fine. Don't waste money on synthetic.

Not coming back in here... [doorpeek]

sam fisher 02-08-2013 02:30 AM

Iv been using mobil one synthetic , but was also wondering whats good . I might get royal purp next

Edit : wix for filter

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using FF Mobile

wickedgreyzx3 02-08-2013 07:07 AM

With 140k on the ticker just use the cheapest oil you can find that meets the specifications from ford.

Because really, what difference does it make now if you need a new or rebuilt engine next week or next year?

Notorious0ne 02-08-2013 10:45 AM

I use mobil one synthetic, I swear by synthetic motor oil compared to normal oil. I have seen the difference between motors that use synthetic vs regular motor oil after you pull them apart, and its gross. As far as the filters go, i use motorcraft, but another great filter would be bosch. Advance auto parts does oil deals every month where you can get synthetic, with a high end filter.

Cobalt SS 02-08-2013 10:48 AM

I always use mobil 1 synthetic oil with a new filter every 3-4 thousand miles. Great stuff you cant go wrong with it, its just a bit expensive but im overprotective of my car anyways lol

Andrews-bad-SE 02-08-2013 11:14 AM

I've always used Castrol in the gold bottle with a Purolator Synthetic or K&N filter.

I'm not going to have to rebuild my engine in the next year, it's really clean and in great shape, inside and out.

I'm just interested in what people are using anymore, maybe there's something great out there that I haven't heard of yet.