Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus Purchasing Center (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Unable to get a price from dealers for 2012 or 2013 Focus? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308569)

2526b 02-06-2013 09:41 PM

Unable to get a price from dealers for 2012 or 2013 Focus?

New here.

Owned a new 2008 Focus SE Audiophile / Sync package from 2008 - 2011, 4 door sedan. No issues, loved it.

Looking to purchase 2012 Titanium or 2013 SE and am unable to obtain a price from ANY dealer. I am unsure if this is a new dealership "strategy" but in 2008, I did 99% of my legwork through the internet / email.

All I receive are "form letter" email responses about "when can you come in" and "we can beat any rate..." etc. I've been to one dealership in person, and I still could not get any figures. None. I can not understand this.

Any help is appreciated.

AZfocus2012 02-06-2013 10:19 PM

Do your research, find out what invoice is for the car with the options you want is, find out what a fair price is and go in and tell the dealer what you will pay for the car you want. To do it the other way around is backwards and you will get screwed by the dealer. I am not sure of the exact percent, but is should be somewhere between 4% and 10% off of sticker to get you in the ballpark.

2526b 02-06-2013 10:31 PM

Thank you for the response. Im unsure how to do this as I went to a dealer, picked a vehicle and asked, "what is the price?" and received no answer.

Not even sticker price! I can not understand this. All the dealer could ask was, "ow much are you paying now?" "what are you looking to do today?" "my sales manager wants to know if you're willing to buy today?" etc.

Four dealerships and not ONE has said "we are asking "XYZ" for the vehicle."

AZfocus2012 02-06-2013 10:42 PM

That is their main tactic, the what are you paying now, what payment can you make, they can always make huge profits when they start there. Use KBB and Edmunds as good starting points for some research, or just start at 10% or more off of sticker if it is a new car. You probably won't get that as markup is small on new compact cars. Key is you tell them what you are willing to pay for the car and not in the form of a monthly payment.

1slofofo 02-06-2013 10:44 PM

I used email for a Mazda when I was cross shopping. They gave me a really shady price, every rebate used, horrid financing. You should use MSRPs as the highest end of the spectrum.

And go to different places, if you don't like it, walk. This netted us the deal we were initially looking for on a CR-V, but we ended up liking the Fusion better. They'll call you back, too.

AZfocus2012 02-06-2013 10:52 PM

"The walk" is a key part of any new car buying strategy. When the dealer throws out a bunch of BS numbers and rhetoric, just walk out, and don't look back. Maybe next time you grace their doors they will get there head out of their a55, and try to get right, if not walk again. I have walked three times at one dealer only because they had the car my sister wanted, otherwise I would have been finding another dealer. Although that got us to within $350 of my initial low offer to them, which is where I told my sister to buy the dam car as I was spent dealing with these idiots.

1lowfocus05 02-06-2013 11:09 PM

I work for Ford I will get you an answer in the Morning.

Deesiel678 02-06-2013 11:30 PM

If I may play the devils advocate for a moment...

I used to work as a car sales person for 8 years. This was one of the many frustrating questions a customer would ask. "What's the price???" or "Give me your best price." On a new car, it's clearly marked... it's called MSRP. Oh, you want better/lower than MSRP?? That's fine. Commit to buying the car and we will gladly negotiate with you. Oh, you want us to negotiate without a commitment from you? What, you think we like to negotiate for fun? No thanks. When you are ready to buy we will make you a deal. Until then, the price is the one listed on the sticker. Good day sir.

Check Edmunds.com for invoice pricing and True Market Value. Look at Cars.com to see what prices / deals are being advertised. Find the car you want, research it, determine what you are willing to pay (be reasonable), then go to the dealer ready to buy. If your offer is reasonable, they will take it. They may try to play hardball (to hold some profit), but if you are willing to walk, they will fold.

Elizabeth 02-07-2013 07:36 AM

When I wanted to buy my new Focus, the first dealer was not even interested in talking to me!
At the second dealer, I was able to at least find out if anyone had the car i wanted.. But after several hours of nothing..
(Seems they wanted some commitment BEFORE they would even find out if they could get the car.. I walked.)
The way i found my car was internet search. When I found it 60 miles away, that small town dealer's salesman was online too. So I asked about it and went the same day and bought it.
I was not dickering at that point! I asked and got the advertised $850 internet discount. And a $500 Ford financing cash back.
Getting the exact car i wanted: Priceless.

ShoOff 02-07-2013 09:01 AM

I just picked up my 2013 SE Hatchback. I got pretty much every option avail to me including the upgraded suspension. I walked out paying about $24,000.
Hope that helped