Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   High Beams will not toggle anymore after service (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308438)

Pinion Dominion 02-05-2013 07:52 AM

High Beams will not toggle anymore after service

I took my Focus to the dealer for an oil change a couple of days ago. (+ they repaired my mykey feature).

Last night, while driving I noticed that the toggle function of the high beams does not work anymore. I am referring to page 121 of 5th printing manual where it says "push the [turn signal] lever toward the instrument panel to activate". Before, when I did this, the high beams would stay on after pressing it.

Now, it will just act as a "flash-to-pass" a la what happens when you pull the lever towards you.

So now, pulling and pushing the lever becomes "flash-to-pass". Not very convenient to hold the lever down if I want continuous high beams..

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

ccelaya 02-05-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion Dominion (Post 4573436)
I took my Focus to the dealer for an oil change a couple of days ago. (+ they repaired my mykey feature).

Last night, while driving I noticed that the toggle function of the high beams does not work anymore. I am referring to page 121 of 5th printing manual where it says "push the [turn signal] lever toward the instrument panel to activate". Before, when I did this, the high beams would stay on after pressing it.

Now, it will just act as a "flash-to-pass" a la what happens when you pull the lever towards you.

So now, pulling and pushing the lever becomes "flash-to-pass". Not very convenient to hold the lever down if I want continuous high beams..

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Yes I have, when your toggle is on the "parking lights" position, the high beams only work as a "flash-to-pass".

Make sure your toggle is on the "full-on" position, and try to switch to high beams with the lever.

I hope that helps.

Pinion Dominion 02-05-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccelaya (Post 4573543)
Yes I have, when your toggle is on the "parking lights" position, the high beams only work as a "flash-to-pass".

Make sure your toggle is on the "full-on" position, and try to switch to high beams with the lever.

I hope that helps.

Do you mean the headlamp control knob? (pg 120)

I have that set to autolamp. I'll try it tonight.

feta_mgp 02-05-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion Dominion (Post 4573578)
Do you mean the headlamp control knob? (pg 120)

I have that set to autolamp. I'll try it tonight.

That's what he's referring to yes

Pinion Dominion 02-07-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccelaya (Post 4573543)

I hope that helps.

Thanks ccelaya, what you wrote worked. Now I don't know if my memory is skewed or not but I could have sworn that when I had my lamps set to autolamp, the high beams would still toggle on... [confused][scratch]

BetaDnB 02-07-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion Dominion (Post 4577041)
Thanks ccelaya, what you wrote worked. Now I don't know if my memory is skewed or not but I could have sworn that when I had my lamps set to autolamp, the high beams would still toggle on... [confused][scratch]

My high beams work just fine with my headlamp switch set to auto.

lewisra 02-07-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion Dominion (Post 4577041)

So do they work in auto mode? When your car goes in for service they will usually turn auto mode off.Since you have DRL's you may not have noticed.

Pinion Dominion 02-07-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewisra (Post 4577126)
So do they work in auto mode? When your car goes in for service they will usually turn auto mode off.Since you have DRL's you may not have noticed.

The high beams "work" in autolamp mode. Pressing (and holding) forward on the turn signal lever turns the high beams on. But as soon as I stop pressing forward (ie. releasing the lever), the high beams go off (so it's in "flash-to-pass" mode).

But before the service, doing this same action, the high beams would remain on. To turn the high beams off I would push the lever forward again then release (I call this toggling - you don't need to keep holding something to keep the effect, it just toggles on and off based on further pressing/de-pressing).

Kabigon 02-07-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion Dominion (Post 4577137)
The high beams "work" in autolamp mode. Pressing (and holding) forward on the turn signal lever turns the high beams on. But as soon as I stop pressing forward (ie. releasing the lever), the high beams go off (so it's in "flash-to-pass" mode).

But before the service, doing this same action, the high beams would remain on. To turn the high beams off I would push the lever forward again then release (I call this toggling - you don't need to keep holding something to keep the effect, it just toggles on and off based on further pressing/de-pressing).

You fail to mention the obvious. Are the headlamps themselves on or off???
Of course it will make a difference as to how the high beams operate.

lewisra 02-07-2013 01:51 PM

My high beams work correctly(stay on) in auto mode. The lights need to be on(dark outside) for the high beams to stay on.