Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   EGR Insufficient Flow. Tried searching already. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308422)

Andrews-bad-SE 02-04-2013 11:30 PM

EGR Insufficient Flow. Tried searching already.

Car: 2003 Zetec, Automatic
Issue: p0401 code (EGR Insufficient Flow)

After a long time of plucking at this...

I've tried cleaning the valve. It's spotless. I replaced the tube, absolutely free/clear of any buildup. I checked for leaks, none whatsoever. I replaced the DPFE sensor. Could this be it? I got a BWD from Advance Auto Parts when I worked there... Could this be it? I've heard that Foci are pretty picky when it comes to sensors... As far as O2's are concerned, I use strictly NTK's. Could the DPFE be just as "choosy"?

don627 02-04-2013 11:43 PM

when mine had that code the vac line from the vac solenoid to the egr valve then to the dpfe had a hole worn in it from rubbing on something on the firewall for ten years check those little plastic vac lines carefully.

Andrews-bad-SE 02-04-2013 11:47 PM

Hadn't thought of that! Lol good idea, I'll do that tomorrow. Also, I noticed you're from Dayton? I just moved to Cleveland from St. Louis. What kind of things should I be concerned with as far as vehicle inspection?

amc49 02-05-2013 12:17 AM

The DPFE. They commonly get a small amount of water in them to corrode and fail, water vapor is present in all engine exhaust. The sensor actually only has a layer of RTV maybe .010" thick to protect the sensor strain chip, eventually the water gets through that.

I had trouble with a newer design on my '02, the '00 never has had trouble at all (firewall mounted with longer hoses). The '02 failed two sensors, the very short vacuum lines (2 inch long) had something to do with it I thought. Too easy for water to get into it, too short a path. The bad DPFEs both had water droplets in them when disassembled. I used 6 feet of vacuum line cut in two for 3 foot pieces and ran the extra line down back of motor for moisture trap, also remounted the DPFE up higher to the intake tube, now water has to go up a long distance to get to the sensor. The sensor used to freeze water in it too when temps went below freezing, the motor would cough and spit since EGR was on at cold idle, a big no-no. Since the mod several years ago no trouble at all, problem cured.

Andrews-bad-SE 02-05-2013 12:23 AM

Wow, good thinking! I remember my engine light being off for a long time after I thought I had fixed it... and now that I've been in Cleveland with the awesome cold-as-heck temperatures... it's all beginning to make sense.

Thanks a lot for the insight guys!

don627 02-05-2013 08:49 AM

we don't have vehicle inspection down here, I don't know if cleveland still has it or not. Yes if the dpfe gets water in it it will fail but, you said you replaced it. In my case my dpfe was doing its job by triggering the cel with the insufficient flow code after I replaced my vac line and unplugged my batt for a few minutes no more cel and even better no more stalling at idle in park. I love cleveland by the way.

amc49 02-06-2013 02:11 AM

DPFE does not trigger the CEL, the PCM does once it decides the DPFE not outputting what PCM expects. A fine point but helpful in troubleshooting.

amc49 02-06-2013 02:23 AM

Big dummy.................

whynotthinkwhynot 02-06-2013 04:59 AM

^^^Are you calling yourself names again since the DPFE doesn't output anything?

Andrews-bad-SE 02-06-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by don627 (Post 4573502)
we don't have vehicle inspection down here, I don't know if cleveland still has it or not. Yes if the dpfe gets water in it it will fail but, you said you replaced it. In my case my dpfe was doing its job by triggering the cel with the insufficient flow code after I replaced my vac line and unplugged my batt for a few minutes no more cel and even better no more stalling at idle in park. I love cleveland by the way.

I'm loving it so far haha. Cleveland rocks! Except the cold. That doesn't quite rock as much.

Posted via FF Mobile