Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Trip odo meter reset (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308372)

raptor1956 02-04-2013 01:52 PM

Trip odo meter reset

I have a 2012 FF Ti and am used to the way is reacts when I go to reset a trip odo or average mpg etc ... press and hold for like 5 or more seconds. I'm now driving a rental Escape and when I reset the trip meter it only takes about 2 seconds versus 5 seconds with my Focus. Does anyone know if the 3.5.1 update reduces the time from 5 to 2?

Brian

cobie56 02-04-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor1956 (Post 4572315)
I have a 2012 FF Ti and am used to the way is reacts when I go to reset a trip odo or average mpg etc ... press and hold for like 5 or more seconds. I'm now driving a rental Escape and when I reset the trip meter it only takes about 2 seconds versus 5 seconds with my Focus. Does anyone know if the 3.5.1 update reduces the time from 5 to 2?

Brian

just another area where ford weakens a good car design... who knows why one must press each segment for such a long time and watch the bar creep along til it says 'reset'... all other cars i've ever had, including ford products, u just press for a sec an it resets....

TiStick 02-04-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Brian

No, 3.5.1 does not change that function. It would be nice....

Kabigon 02-04-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Brian

3.5.1 is an firmware update of the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module), not the ICD (Instrument Cluster Display).

raptor1956 02-04-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4572368)
3.5.1 is an firmware update of the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module), not the ICD (Instrument Cluster Display).

Yeah, I didn't think there was anything there but I figured I'd ask...

The whole waiting for 5ish seconds to reset the counters and half a minute for the oil monitor is just stupid...

I recently checked the FordETIS website and found this:

12A04 - SYNC WITH MYFORD/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - APPLICATION PERFORMANCE UPGRADE
12M02 - L INTERFACE MODULE (APIM)

So, I call the dealer asking about it and they said I could download the update myself, but I then asked them about the 12M02 APIM thing and they said it was just a notice about extending the warranty and not a hardware replacement. I've had no issues, yet, so we'll see.

I also asked about the need for a new NAV card given that I have MyFordTouch w/NAV and he wasn't sure but came back a couple minutes later to say I'd need to bring my car in. So, I'll be bringing it in next Saturday...

Brian

Kabigon 02-05-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor1956 (Post 4572977)
I also asked about the need for a new NAV card given that I have MyFordTouch w/NAV and he wasn't sure but came back a couple minutes later to say I'd need to bring my car in. So, I'll be bringing it in next Saturday...

Brian

You can order a new card on syncmyride and have it in a couple of days.

raptor1956 02-05-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4573180)
You can order a new card on syncmyride and have it in a couple of days.

Yeah, I could, but since I'm on the road and away from home 80% of the time and only home about every second or third weekend I can't easily ship stuff to me as I'm highly unlikely to be there when it arrives.

So, I'm scheduled to arrive back home about 2PM this coming Friday and tried to schedule a trip to the dealer for 3PM Friday but that was too late for them so it'll be 9AM Saturday...

Brian

kam327 02-05-2013 08:54 AM

The other thing I hate (besides the 5-sec reset time) is that the timer can't be stopped and restarted where it left off like in my other Ford products. So if I want to time a trip, but want to leave out a short side trip, I have to do it manually instead of just stopping the timer.

raptor1956 02-05-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kam327 (Post 4573508)
The other thing I hate (besides the 5-sec reset time) is that the timer can't be stopped and restarted where it left off like in my other Ford products. So if I want to time a trip, but want to leave out a short side trip, I have to do it manually instead of just stopping the timer.

My normal process is to reset trip1/mpg1/timer1 when I refill the gas tank and when I start a trip I reset trip2/mpg2/timer2. I don't pay much attention to the timer but I do with the trip and mpg. I find my mpg display is pretty accurate versus calculated values with tanks fillings but there is a tank-to-tank variation of as much as 2mpg. That is, the display may differ from the value I calculate for a given tank but averaged over several tanks and for the 15000 miles I've had the car the display average is within about 0.2mpg of calculated -- not to shabby...

I'm not sure what's different in the Escape that is does these resets much faster or why Ford would have decided to go with 5 seconds for any car -- just makes no sense. I've driven some rental cars where the reset is instant and that's maybe not a great idea either, but it really shouldn't need to be more than 1-2 seconds.

Brian

DaeHanL 02-05-2013 01:29 PM

I would wait the full 5 seconds if it was a "Reset ALL" function!