Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   ESP and Pricing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308157)

Faygo Focus 02-01-2013 04:46 PM

ESP and Pricing

Sitting at 32k miles right now and considering ESP. Haven't had any major issues, but you never know...

Ford ESP Website:

5yr/100k Premium is $1895 with $50 deductible

Ford Dealer:

5yr/100k Premium is $1530 with $50 deductible

Good price?

Is ESP worth it?

suss6052 02-01-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faygo Focus (Post 4568466)
Sitting at 32k miles right now and considering ESP. Haven't had any major issues, but you never know...

Ford ESP Website:

Ford Dealer:

Good price?

Is ESP worth it?

Check zeigler, or anderson koch ford warranty sites for the lowest price for the service contract.

Although that assumes you'll see the value in it. I have one, but I'm not 100% convinced that it will be worth it in end if they don't actually fix anything like they've wormed out of doing anything so far other than the badge.

WizeGuyDezignz 02-01-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4568499)
Check zeigler, or anderson koch ford warranty sites for the lowest price for the service contract.

Although that assumes you'll see the value in it. I have one, but I'm not 100% convinced that it will be worth it in end if they don't actually fix anything like they've wormed out of doing anything so far other than the badge.

What did you have done with your badge?

1rkRAGE 02-01-2013 05:27 PM

if you're going to do it, don't wait until you get past 36k otherwise that's an extra $100

oritpro 02-01-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Ford ESP Website:

Ford Dealer:

Good price?

Is ESP worth it?

Is the DCT covered?

suss6052 02-01-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz (Post 4568504)
What did you have done with your badge?

The original Focus badge the car was built with wasn't attached properly and was peeling off, so within the First 1000 miles I had to go to the dealer two or three times (well technically only twice, once for them to see it and once to replace the badge when the new one came in.

While others debadge, I wanted to keep the stock appearance at that time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oritpro (Post 4568529)
Is the DCT covered?

The long answer is maybe. The FCS reps on here claim it is, but I'm not sure if they are only referring to the internals like the gears and shafts as those are always covered, or if it also extends to the clutch which is an external transmission part, but is analagous to a torque converter which is covered, vs the manual transmission clutch disk, in terms of the driver not being able to directly actuate it and cause excess wear.

Technically it is a wear component like a manual clutch disk, as it is essentially a pair of friction disks with pressure plates between them, etc... However the driver cannot manually slip the clutch excessively, so if the programming is causing harm to it (if and only if) that would be the only way it could be damaged ahead of time.

A well shifted manual shouldn't need a clutch in 100-125k either though.

Sal Paradise 02-01-2013 05:54 PM

I'm opting not to. With my Freestar van, I did buy it and never used it. And the Freestar was supposed to be the " worst car ever" if you read all the transmission complaints on the internet but mine never gave me a bit of trouble just years of service and the $$$ for the service plan went right into Fords pocket.

Now my Focus has never had a blip since the day it was new. I'm betting it will stay that way and I will pay for any repairs out of pocket. I'm starting with $1600 so we'll see how I do in a few years.

TehMark 02-01-2013 06:34 PM

This thread should help you
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264339

focusstu 02-01-2013 08:18 PM

I have an ESP plan on my 2008 Taurus. I haven't had too many claims yet. I had a similar one on my wife's 2005 Honda Odyssey, and I pretty much broke even on that one. I had one on my 2004 Accord and came out way ahead when the ECM died.

Bear in mind that the years on the ESP plans are from when the car was delivered to the original owner. So a 7 year plan gives you 4 years over the 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and 2 years over the 5yr/60000 mile powertrain warranty.

paul21 02-02-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Good price?

This should cost about $1100 with first day rental or $1250 with a 75/day rental budget.

Quote:

Is ESP worth it?
At your mileage point, I would say no. Unless you've had multiple dealer visits or have a reason to believe some problem is brewing, it's probably not worth it.

When I bought my plan, I had a list of about 10 things that were not to my satisfaction with the car and remained that way after some visits (dct, mft, sagging headliner, drifting steering gear, speaker rattles, dislodged seat cover, broken tweeter cover, rough idle, some trim issues, key fob locking delay, rain sensing wiper dry swipe). So I figured something would break after 3/36 and the rental/roadside coverage was worth it to me (I'm already at 13 free rental days).