Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Never done timeing before (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308107)

CharlieO 01-31-2013 09:38 PM

Never done timeing before

Heyyy so im planing on doing my timeing for the first time and i wana do it right. i also wana do the exhaust cam gear. i herd -4 on the exhaust is best. i dnt have timeing issues but its time to do it so besides pulley and belt is there any else nessicary to do?

6SPD_soul 01-31-2013 09:51 PM

Yurrr probs guna haf to get less illiterate 2 git advise frm dis 4rum.

CharlieO 01-31-2013 09:55 PM

ok so timing is but honestly this is not school and i am not trying to impress anyone here i didnt think all that would honestly matter... Do you want essay format? like is that better?.... i mean if you relle comment just to say that then u wasted your time

sleepyboy 01-31-2013 10:00 PM

You need to get the cam gear dyno tuned. Just putting it to -4 won't do nothing, for all you know you could be loosing power, only dyno tuning will let you know it's in the optimal spot. Now as far as the t-belt procedure HERE is a how to from our how to section. It's for a normal zetec but the procedure is the same. When you get the motor to TDC take a marker or something and mark the two inside teeth on each gear facing each other so you know if the timing is off when you put the new belt on, it really helps to let you know if the intake gear moved or not. Now there is a debate as to whether to loosen the intake gear or not. I have done it both ways and both ways work. Personally I'd leave the intake gear alone unless you pop up with a code. If you mark the gears and make sure everything is inline with the cam tool and the motor is at TDC "resting" on the crank pin then everything should go with out a hitch. [thumb]

CharlieO 01-31-2013 10:06 PM

Thank you man i apperciate it! maybe ill replace the gear now and do the dyno of it another time.. I can adjust that with the belt on right?

6SPD_soul 01-31-2013 10:22 PM

A lot of people say to change the water pump when doing the timing belt since you have easy access, but I don't think it's worth the time and money, I don't hear about water pump failures here very often (ever) as the water pump is not driven by or related to the water pump. It is iimportant that you change all the timing belt related pulleys and idlers. You can get a timing belt kit from Gates (TCK294B) that has the belt, idler and tensioner pulleys for like $90 if not less, Rockauto is generally the place to get it. You also want to get the cam timing tools, it's just a flat bar to hold the cams in place an a screw/pin that holds the crankshaft when you find TDC compression on cyl. 1. The company OTC probably sells the most inexpensive set of these timing tools but you can find other vendors, just google it. They are necessary in my opinion.

Also buy a decent repair manual to walk you through it, they're cheap and worth they're weight in gold when it comes to this. They don't mention how to position the VCT when setting the timing, you want to make sure it's rotated fully towards the front of the car before you put the belt on, of course it does move independently of the camshaft and it'll help you understand it's operation when you get the belt off. A lot of people also caution against loosening the cam gear pulleys even though it's called for in the published instructions, the cam position sensor is apparently overly sensitive about this.

There's a ton of previous discussions on this and you'll find more info if you experiment with the search function on this site (although the search function kind of sucks).

CharlieO 01-31-2013 10:27 PM

So it does not seem worth the dyno runs and cost of cam gear for minimal gains ... But thankyou guys for the help ill keep everyone updated cause i got a bunch of bolt ons comming my way and im hitting the dyno soon just wanted to make sure my timing was right

sleepyboy 01-31-2013 10:35 PM

Do not move the VCT gear, leave it alone. Mark the cam gear teeth closest to each other so they line up before you remove the t-belt. That way if the gear does move you know what position it was in before it moved. Then install the new t-belt and make sure the marks are still lined up. Do the t-belt and adj. cam gear install before the dyno that way when you do go to the dyno you can adjust to the optimal setting.

freemind 02-01-2013 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul (Post 4567283)
A lot of people say to change the water pump when doing the timing belt since you have easy access, but I don't think it's worth the time and money, I don't hear about water pump failures here very often (ever) as the water pump is not driven by or related to the water pump. It is iimportant that you change all the timing belt related pulleys and idlers. You can get a timing belt kit from Gates (TCK294B) that has the belt, idler and tensioner pulleys for like $90 if not less, Rockauto is generally the place to get it. You also want to get the cam timing tools, it's just a flat bar to hold the cams in place an a screw/pin that holds the crankshaft when you find TDC compression on cyl. 1. The company OTC probably sells the most inexpensive set of these timing tools but you can find other vendors, just google it. They are necessary in my opinion.

Also buy a decent repair manual to walk you through it, they're cheap and worth they're weight in gold when it comes to this. They don't mention how to position the VCT when setting the timing, you want to make sure it's rotated fully towards the front of the car before you put the belt on, of course it does move independently of the camshaft and it'll help you understand it's operation when you get the belt off. A lot of people also caution against loosening the cam gear pulleys even though it's called for in the published instructions, the cam position sensor is apparently overly sensitive about this.

There's a ton of previous discussions on this and you'll find more info if you experiment with the search function on this site (although the search function kind of sucks).

I disagree, do the water pump. It is insurance.

I got a 10ftlb TQ gain in the midrange from the Dyno-tuned cam gears. I'm -2exhuast and +4 intake. But every motor is different.

sleepyboy 02-01-2013 03:04 AM

I gained power everywhere when I had mine dyno tuned, I need to do it again after doing my t-belt and putting the pretty blue one on lol. Every focus is different and the cam timing can vary greatly from motor to motor. This is why we have some factory freaks and some are somewhat sedate.

Oh and I also say do the water pump, your there might as well do it for the insurance.