Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   I want to make more power.... suggestions? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308016)

2000zX3sct 01-30-2013 08:46 PM

I want to make more power.... suggestions?

Well , ive been driving my 2000 focus automatic for about 2 years and ive slowly been modding it but i think i have done every bolt on that can be done... so far i have
65mm BBK TB , Short ram intake , Full magnaflow exhaust with shorty header , Screamin Demon Coil , and Focus Central Pulleys and i have an sct 91 tune.

Im looking at some cams and valve springs becuase i am starting to hear some play in them. What would be the best setup to go with ? and also is it worth getting cam gears? I hear mixed opinions everywere.

Magus2727 01-30-2013 08:52 PM

Go with a SVT exhaust header and high flow cat. that will give better performance than your shorty (which does very little). You can get a stage 1 or 2 cams. cam gears are all about equal, note, if you plan on adjusting them you need to get them tuned while on a dyno.

2000zX3sct 01-30-2013 08:59 PM

i have a highflow cat and flex , is the svt header that much better? i mean what would the difference be?. Also has anyone installed a nitrous kit?

Magus2727 01-30-2013 10:21 PM

Many people have installed a nitrous kit. make sure its wet and you and usually run a 25-35 shot all day, our motors like to run a step larger on the fuel nozzle. The problem is nitrous is only momentary, and if you get all the fancy stuff will cost a bit. and will cost you every time you have to fill the tank.

The SVT header provides about 11-13 HP the shorty header does 2-3 HP I think?

Also technically using nitrous on public roads is illegal. so if you intend on using it on the road you sometimes have to be careful.

freemind 01-31-2013 02:56 PM

I know that my cam gears made a difference having them done on the Dyno. Cost me $100.00 and well worth it.

focusmaniaczx3 01-31-2013 04:09 PM

shorty header might net you 2whp if even that. svt header will net 15whp or more.
if you want to run big cams then you will want the crower springs and retainers. those will run about $250. stronger springs so you wont suffer from valve float so bad at the higher rpms that you will run with more aggressive cams.
for cams you probably wont want anything over stage 2 cams (stage 1 crower cams). much of anything bigger and you wont benefit from them without a full P&P head with 3/5 angle valve job and if i remember correctly any cams with more than .415" lift you will have to get the head clearanced for the cams or the cams wont turn freely without rubbing. it might have been .430" but i dont remember for sure.
if you get cams then you should absolutely get adjustable cam gears. you might not pick up any power from them at all or you might pick up 20whp. each car is different on this.

and i have a complete zex wet nitrous kit with a few bells and whistles ill sell ya if youre interested. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

2000zX3sct 02-03-2013 10:00 AM

ok so basically what I'm gonna run is a stage one cam , with cam
Gears . If I find someone who's selling an svt hedder I just might switch it . It's amazing how the shortys can cost almost 300 brand new and have little benefit . Luckily only paid 80 for mine. Ill have to do some thinking about nitrous and do some convincing with my dad (the mechanic) lol. thanks everyone for the input.

emsvitil 02-03-2013 03:11 PM

Improve the handling..........

That way you don't need to slow down for corners, then speed up again after them...

[hihi]

2000zX3sct 02-03-2013 09:58 PM

ive got eibach sportlines and eibach shocks on the front... svts in the rear. Also got a front tower brace.

sleepyboy 02-05-2013 03:41 AM

Don't get stg 1 cams get stg 2's or 3's if your going to get cams. Definitely get some adj cam gears and get them dyno tune, was one of the best mods I did when I had stock cams. I have yet to get the cams I have no dyno tuned yet so I imagine I have a lot more left on the table.