Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Apples and Oranges - New Car Feedback Wanted (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307967)

ZX4STDoug 01-30-2013 10:28 AM

Apples and Oranges - New Car Feedback Wanted

I donít get on here too much anymore as I havenít owned the Focus in over 5 years now, but I still browse a bit. Iím looking to get opinions/feedback from others on a couple of new cars Iím eyeing as my next purchase. I love my GTI, and itís been a blast to drive. Other than some known issues which were addressed early on, itís been pretty reliable. However itís at 80K miles now and although itís my 5th VW/Audi product, I think Iím ready for a change.

The two ďnewĒ cars Iím looking at are a 2013 WRX 5 door or a 2014 Mustang V6 Premium coupe with a manual trans. and the V6 Performance Package.

I sell Subarus for a living, and can order exactly what I want for a very fair price. I also get X Plan and would order the Mustang equipped the way I want it.

Using current incentives on the Mustang, it would run about around 1300.00 more than the WRX. Iíd gain factory heated seats (vs aftermarket in the WRX), leather, dual power seats, heated mirrors, Sirius (already have), and a much higher quality audio system. Of course rebates could increase on the Mustang by spring time, and that would lower that spread. There are no incentives on the WRX and wonít be, so that pricing wonít change.

I love the practicality of a hatch, and would certainly miss that with the Mustang, though it would probably cut down on my Costco and Loweís trips [:)]

Both are pretty mod-friendly and thereís decent aftermarket support for both. Iím less concerned with the whole AWD vs. RWD being here in Michigan, because Iíd run dedicated winter tires/wheels on either of them.

Both obviously have their pros and cons, and like any purchase, some things may be more important to me than to someone else. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

kylesvt720 01-30-2013 10:30 AM

I would think if you wait for the next gen mustang to get announced, I bet the current one will get even cheaper. Just a thought.

ZX4STDoug 01-30-2013 10:35 AM

Not waiting till next spring. Same situation for the WRX. Won't be here in the time frame I'm looking to make a purchase. Besides, I actually like both the current WRX and Mustang bodystyles.

TitanFocus76 01-30-2013 10:37 AM

love the mixed cross shop i had a pretty strange one myself (mustang gt vs st)

Feedback helps but end of the day its going to come down to which car is going to be a better fit for what you want.

Factory heated seats and a better sounds system would be a big plus in my book. along with the premium will also give you track apps and sync which I do not believe Subaru has an equivilant that works quite as well

SkyPilot 01-30-2013 10:37 AM

Personally I would go for the mustang, thats a bit more my taste.

Have you looked at the ST at all?

ZX4STDoug 01-30-2013 10:42 AM

I have - test drove the ST when I drove the Mustang, but it wouldn't be something I look at. It was a bit darty feeling for my tastes, I hated the artificial sound being pumped into the cabin (VW is guilty of that crap too) and I found the ride on the freeway to be a bit "hobby-horse" like. The fact I'd have to deal with MyFord Touch to get a model with HIDs would most likely kill the deal even if I was in love with the car. I put about 25K miles a year on my cars, and my commute is around 65 miles a day, almost all freeway. It's a great car, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's for me.

ZX4STDoug 01-30-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanFocus76 (Post 4564869)
love the mixed cross shop i had a pretty strange one myself (mustang gt vs st)

Feedback helps but end of the day its going to come down to which car is going to be a better fit for what you want.

Factory heated seats and a better sounds system would be a big plus in my book. along with the premium will also give you track apps and sync which I do not believe Subaru has an equivilant that works quite as well

I have to laugh at the cross shop statement, because we joke here about customers who come in and say they're looking for a WRX or a Grand Cherokee, and now I'm in the same situation [hihi]

Correct, Subaru has nothing like Sync. It's a much sparser car, content, technology and creature comfort wise, but still a great all around vehicle.

kylesvt720 01-30-2013 10:56 AM

I vote V6 stang then Doug, but I say go sans performance package.

ZX4STDoug 01-30-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylesvt720 (Post 4564914)
I vote V6 stang then Doug, but I say go sans performance package.

See, I think that is key. For the content and what the charge is, I think it's a heck of a bargain from the factory. Why would you not select it?

kylesvt720 01-30-2013 11:11 AM

Well I'm not a fan of the wheels that come with it, and it still doesn't sit as low as I'd like. If you get a base model, you already have your snow wheels, just need tires. Then buy whatever summer set you like, and lower it.

$2k for performance package
$1k for a full snow setup?

$500 for snow tires. and leaves you $1500 towards a summer setup of your choice, and lowering it. That's not counting that you could get a couple hundred at least for the stock all seasons that are brand new.