Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Outside Temperature Incorrect - 2012 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307908)

kemoe 01-29-2013 04:12 PM

Outside Temperature Incorrect - 2012 Focus

Hello, I have seen several posts on the web and here in Focus Fanatics regarding the outside temperature reading being incorrect on later model Focuses. What I have not seen is a solution to this issue.

My 2012 base model is constantly showing 2 to 8 degrees higher than the actual temperature. I brought the car into the dealership and they replaced my passenger side mirror because the sensor is mounted in the mirror. This did not fix the issue. The dealership has now created a trouble ticket with Ford. I have not heard back from the dealership for several days even though I have called them a few times so I have called Ford directly and created another trouble ticket to see if that would help.

I have seen on several posts that Ford has told other posters that the root of problem is that the system first calculates the outside temperature in Celcius and then converts it to Fahrenheit which is hard to believe that Ford's software developers couldn't do basic math. But you never know?

I use the outside temperature to warm me of potential hazardous ice so it is important to me that this works. If I can't get it working correctly, I am going to get rid of this car.

Please let me know if you have a solution to this issue. I will post my solution once and if I find one.

Thanks

Elizabeth 01-29-2013 05:41 PM

Wow. Tough stance.
Throw away $5K or more trade in loss because you are too cheap to buy some aftermarket temp gauge?
I also note my temp gauge is higher than the real temp outside.
Usually I can tell if it is below freezing. Something I picked up walking outside once in a Blue Moon I guess.
My car is parked in a heated garage, so the temp drops from 78F/68F (year round) down/up to whatever the temp is outside in a minute of so. It stays higher than the real Winter temp by about 8 degrees I guess. Summer it seems to be right on actually.
I might try to change it to Celcius temp range and see if that is correct. [popcorn]

kemoe 01-29-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4563549)
Wow. Tough stance.
Throw away $5K or more trade in loss because you are too cheap to buy some aftermarket temp gauge?
I also note my temp gauge is higher than the real temp outside.
Usually I can tell if it is below freezing. Something I picked up walking outside once in a Blue Moon I guess.
My car is parked in a heated garage, so the temp drops from 78F/68F (year round) down/up to whatever the temp is outside in a minute of so. It stays higher than the real Winter temp by about 8 degrees I guess. Summer it seems to be right on actually.
I might try to change it to Celcius temp range and see if that is correct. [popcorn]

I tried changing it too Celcius but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. Probably something the dealer can do via their scantool? (I have the base model)

Sorry for sounding sour but this issue looks to me like a software problem which should be an easy fix. I see all sorts of Ford Focus owners with the same problem but Ford seems to be ignoring them. Our F150 hasn't ever had an bug or did our two previous Ford Mustangs. I wonder if Ford did this work themselves or outsourced it?

I will let you know what I find out.

jdubhack 01-29-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemoe (Post 4563610)
I tried changing it too Celcius but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. Probably something the dealer can do via their scantool? (I have the base model)

Sorry for sounding sour but this issue looks to me like a software problem which should be an easy fix. I see all sorts of Ford Focus owners with the same problem but Ford seems to be ignoring them. Our F150 hasn't ever had an bug or did our two previous Ford Mustangs. I wonder if Ford did this work themselves or outsourced it?

I will let you know what I find out.

Are you serious? Have you read your manual? It is in the menu between the gauges.

Settings: display: temperature: (then choose C or F)

suss6052 01-29-2013 06:59 PM

I've not noticed it being off by 8+F, when it was zero F outside the car read exactly 0F, when I got to the interview it had warmed up to about 5F, and then later in the day by the time I got home it read only about 14F and it felt like it.

Joeywhat 01-29-2013 07:04 PM

Remember that the thermometer is under the passenger mirror, and can show higher or lower temps if it's getting direct sunlight, or in the shade, etc.

kemoe 01-29-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubhack (Post 4563646)
Are you serious? Have you read your manual? It is in the menu between the gauges.

Settings: display: temperature: (then choose C or F)

Yes, I am serious. Yes, I have read my manual. There is not a menu between my guages. Higher trim models have the menu between the guages, mine does not.

kemoe 01-29-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4563659)
I've not noticed it being off by 8+F, when it was zero F outside the car read exactly 0F, when I got to the interview it had warmed up to about 5F, and then later in the day by the time I got home it read only about 14F and it felt like it.

So you are sure it is dead on? If so, then there goes the theory about the software. Or maybe the version of the software is different?

kemoe 01-29-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 4563664)
Remember that the thermometer is under the passenger mirror, and can show higher or lower temps if it's getting direct sunlight, or in the shade, etc.

This is happening at night (well past sundown) as well. In fact it is worse at night when I am driving home. About an hour ago is was 6 degrees over. This morning at 7AM it was only 2 over.

Thanks

viney266 01-29-2013 09:43 PM

How did I ever survive without a temp sensor on my car...oh wait I till don't have one...

Do what I do, if you suspect ice, scuff your foot on the road and see if it is slick before you get in the car, and YES I'm serious...it works.