Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   05 focus Squirrely back end in snow (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307888)

petermb72 01-29-2013 01:21 PM

05 focus Squirrely back end in snow

So here is the deal. 05 Focus zx4. Stock setup with no issues last winter. Over the summer put in different springs to lower it just a few inches. Did not do anything with camber or alignment. Everything seemed fine. Winter hit and it seemed like the car was all over the place, the rear end would not stop going back and forth to the point if it was a little slick if felt like it was going to spin out if you went over 40 mph. Dry pavement, it was fine. We put new all weather tires on thinking this would help. It got better but still gets a little white knuckle when it gets a little slick out. Not like it was last winter before the springs.

So with that info, what do you think? Do I need to make some sort of adjustment to the camber or do I need to go back to stock springs or do I look for something else? It almost seems to dangerous to drive.

Thanks,
Peter

petermb72 01-29-2013 01:24 PM

eibach pro kit was the lowering kit that was put in. So it is just a small drop.

rambleon84 01-29-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petermb72 (Post 4563036)
. Over the summer put in different springs to lower it just a few inches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by petermb72 (Post 4563040)
eibach pro kit was the lowering kit that was put in. So it is just a small drop.

Well now that's a wee bit of a difference; a few vs 1.5" [;)]

When was the last time you had an alignment done? If you put on new tires, something else has to be really out of line to cause the rear end to become squirly this year vs it being fine last year. Did you replace your shocks/struts too or just add the new springs?

USARice 01-29-2013 02:41 PM

I had this same issue when I put coilovers on the tRacer LTS.... It wasn't the camber, that shouldn't have that effect, but too much toe will because the tires are effectively fighting each other. Raised it up .75" and the problem went away. I would check for toe in/out. Unfortunately IIRC that isn't adjustable from the factory on our cars. I have the Saleen kit on my 05 ZX4 and have had no issues in the winter. This year I actually got snow tires and can fly along with the cruise set at 70 with full confidence. Before the snow tires I wouldn't even use the cruise at any speed in the snow. HTH

freemind 01-29-2013 02:43 PM

Your toe is off. An alignment is needed ASAP.

I will get this moved to a better section.

petermb72 01-29-2013 02:44 PM

yeah... Wrote the post, had a senior moment and then thought I better clarify what we did.....

Only thing we have done is put the different springs in and then the new tires.... Well, we did tint the windows but I think that should be ok..

We never have done an alignment check. I have one scheduled for tomorrow.

petermb72 01-29-2013 02:48 PM

Thanks for the input on the post. I really appreciate the help that everyone is willing to give. I hope I can get the toe-in adjusted without having to do any other "kits" to the car. If I do have to add something. Can anyone point me as to what I need to buy exactly?

petermb72 01-29-2013 02:50 PM

by the way, what section should I have posted this question?

freemind 01-29-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petermb72 (Post 4563175)
by the way, what section should I have posted this question?

Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension

BTW, Welcome to our site.

petermb72 01-29-2013 03:10 PM

THANKS! Glad to be here. Don't suppose I should adjust my self? This is a computer/machine type adjustment on a rack I assume?