Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Oil Leak Video 2013 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307882)

Flybigrc 01-29-2013 01:05 PM

Oil Leak Video 2013 Focus

2013 Focus Oil Leak Video apparently from a Ford Service Tech.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Anyone encountering this issue? [bigcry]

Slo86GT 01-29-2013 02:16 PM

Boom. Looks like I'll be asking to take a look under the car when I go in for my first change Thursday.

Black00ZX3 01-29-2013 02:46 PM

I don't know what scarier, the fact that this happens or that they know about it and dont want to tell the customers.

cbdallas 01-29-2013 06:21 PM

He thinks it's the rear main, but isn't it far more likely to be transmission input/output?

This is a sad state of affairs at Ford.

misfire 01-29-2013 08:35 PM

my 2012 is just starting to do this with 37,000 miles on it. Ford has a technical bulletin for this seal, if i remember correctly.

As a technician, his job is to report the status of a vehicle to his advisor. Typically, if a customer isn't complaining about something, we aren't to touch it unless we have the customers permission. Your refrigerator company doesn't send a tech to your home just to see if everything is okay and they sure wont send a tech to your house to check your dishwasher and replace parts under warranty unless you have a concern. The same goes for the auto industry, we just don't go replacing things all the time. However, if something is bad/not safe/clearly not right, we NEED to do something as a dealership. I just had a customer with a 2009 Escape who's left front axle seal was leaking badly. The owner wouldn't know this unless I told him. He lives in an apartment, so it would be hard for him to notice a leak on the ground. But, because it was bad and not safe, we replaced it for him under warranty after making him aware of it.

The tech in the video needs to understand that he isn't supposed to replace everything he sees unless the owner instructs him of a concern or has the owners permission. However, he failed at not notifying his service advisor of this leak. The leak isn't minor and should have been addressed. The advisor should have notified the customer and set up a time for repair. Making a youtube instead of being proactive, is simply unacceptable.

Yes, Ford knows about this type of leak and that is why they have a TSB to fix it. For those of you bashing Ford on this, do your homework first. They have a fix for the cars effected by this and it's free under Powertrain Warranty Coverage.

misfire 01-29-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old1030 (Post 4563165)
I don't know what scarier, the fact that this happens or that they know about it and dont want to tell the customers.

See my post above.

Just so you know, NOWHERE has Ford called us, wrote to us or whispered to us Dealership Service personnel not to tell customers about this leak. It was poor judgement on this tech's choice not to tell his advisor. And perhaps he works for a dealer where he isn't allowed to speak up about these things. If so, he needs to get a new job at a respected place.

05focusST91 01-29-2013 08:40 PM

this is actually a tsb on new fiesta/foci, its actually a sealant that was overused from being built, it has to be checked to determine if it is oil or it is from that sealant

misfire 01-29-2013 08:42 PM

THREAD MOVED TO: General Technical Chat

cbdallas 01-29-2013 08:47 PM

Textbook sleazeball dealership. You can bet they'd recommend that the customer fix it if it was out of warranty.

misfire 01-29-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbdallas (Post 4563734)
Textbook sleazeball dealership. You can bet they'd recommend that the customer fix it if it was out of warranty.

Agreed. Where I work, that car would have been fixed (before it's warranty runs out).