Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   MK3 in snow (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307861)

raptor1956 01-29-2013 07:13 AM

MK3 in snow

A while back there was a thread about the MK3 in snow and some really thought it was terrible, but my experience, until yesterday, was that it wasn't bad at all. Yesterday, however, we had an unexpected dump of about 8 inches of particularly slippery white stuff and I had a huge problem getting it parked at the airport parking lot.

They hadn't cleared the snow and I had to work the shift lever, forward then reverse, repeatedly and after a minute or two I could smell the clutch (DCT). Now I've had mostly manuals before and have in the past had similar issues in snow and had to rock it back-n-forth but never had a clutch smell until now.

So, up until yesterday, with just under 15,000 miles on it, I'd never had a clutch/DCT issue and I hope the minor smell issue doesn't indicate a problem -- I'll know when I get back and can drive it.

I guess the bottom line is that the MK3 FF isn't particularly good, or bad, in the snow but if you have to rock it the DCT doesn't seem well suited to doing that...

Brian

5characters 01-29-2013 08:29 AM

Next time gun it then pull the e-brake and slide into the spot.

Bogey 01-29-2013 09:42 AM

The clutch just got alittle warm, but yeah anytime you get 8", Theres gonna be issues regardless. I sure wish though that there was an option for 4x4, or awd.

cobie56 01-29-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogey (Post 4562814)
The clutch just got alittle warm, but yeah anytime you get 8", Theres gonna be issues regardless. I sure wish though that there was an option for 4x4, or awd.

I recently drove 155 miles (249 km) thru 7-12 inches (18 -30cm) of admittedly powdery snow on interstate roads , a good portion thru mountains. for the most part nothing was plowed. My focus w/ DWS contis plowed thru like a tank.
never had the traction control kick on, surefooted,,, no complaints at all.

PratoN 01-29-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogey (Post 4562814)
anytime you get 8", Theres gonna be issues regardless.

[giddy] ...I'm sorry. You'd think I'm 12.

cobie56 01-29-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PratoN (Post 4562908)
[giddy] ...I'm sorry. You'd think I'm 12.

maybe '12' but still funny.....

CDNFocusFan 01-29-2013 02:16 PM

Truth be told I hated my focus in snow. We had a terrible dumping of 12 inches of thick white crap. Obviously any car would have a hard time, but even afterwards the slush it left behind made driving terrible.

My answer: Winter tires. I picked up a set of Michelin xIce i3's on steelies over Christmas. It's like night and day. Now bombing around in slush, freezing rain, snow, whatever is fine. They're also a touch quieter than my factory 17's.

Now if only the dealer would get my block heater fixed.

PratoN 01-29-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDNFocusFan (Post 4563206)
My answer: Winter tires.

Amen!

gsxrboy 01-29-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Truth be told I hated my focus in snow. We had a terrible dumping of 12 inches of thick white crap. Obviously any car would have a hard time, but even afterwards the slush it left behind made driving terrible.

My answer: Winter tires. I picked up a set of Michelin xIce i3's on steelies over Christmas. It's like night and day. Now bombing around in slush, freezing rain, snow, whatever is fine. They're also a touch quieter than my factory 17's.

I am with you there, I purchased the same tires as you 195/65R15 and they cut through the snow with ease. I see a ton of SUV's on the road with all seasons and I smile as I pass them on the road. 4WD/AWD is a performance feature and not a safety feature!

raptor1956 01-29-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

I plan on buying a new set of wheels with summer tires on them (Tirerack) in the spring of 2014 so next winter, when my stock tires are getting thin, I'll put winter tires on my stock rims. Best of both worlds (please, no references to Miley Virus)...

Brian