Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   My SVT is making me DEAF! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307772)

Focus112 01-28-2013 04:10 PM

My SVT is making me DEAF!

I know there are plenty of threads on this, but everyone has a different solution. Finally got pulled over yesterday, so time to take action.

From 2200 to 3000 rpms, the car is deafening. Everywhere else its not too bad. Its 3 inches, vibrant muffer with a small resonator. I am running a high flow cat, but it was just as loud with the stock cat.

Looking for advice, thanks!!

SVTFocusOnMe 01-29-2013 12:32 AM

That's just the car. I have the stock exhaust without the cat and from 2200 to about 2700 rpm the car is just loud. It's weird it hits 3k and Its not as obnoxious. Doesn't bother me though. Because race car :)

FLYLOW 01-29-2013 07:26 AM

Had vibrant on a car before... Theyre loud. Get a borla can and a manga 14"long, 5" round res

tukaniSVT 01-29-2013 08:13 AM

Aside from buying a new exhaust system ... have you checked to see if anyone or that manufacturer themselves make a silencer for your exhaust?

I've noticed that Silencers aren't as popular as they use to be. Years back, they use to ship silencers with exhausts for the reason of giving the owner an option to pull back the sound.

Ray

sleepyboy 01-29-2013 08:18 AM

Get a bigger resonator.

Focus112 01-29-2013 08:57 AM

What are the pros/cons of adding a resonator vs a second muffler

sleepyboy 01-29-2013 04:10 PM

They are basically the same thing. A lot of people add a much bigger one in the strait section to help quiet it down, some even add two. Mangnaflow makes some big round ones in 4" and the biggest you could fit is the 6" round ones. CFM has some HERE and other places carry them as well.

StephenElsbree1986 01-30-2013 10:11 AM

Should of keep it stock, I get pulled over in the city that has noise restrictions. The 2200-2900 is also fun in tunnles or in traffic. Claims down like aways till after 3k You have a tuned perfomance 4cylinder. This is the sound it makes. Atleast you don't have a Civic. Performance makes noise!

RecoilRob 02-24-2013 11:41 AM

You might be able to change the exhaust note with cam timing....at least a little. Do you have an adjustable gear? I know on mine the exhaust really gets raspy and loud in that 2500rpm range with the exhaust retarded -4 degrees, but it doesn't do this when set to '0' and is much quieter overall. It doesn't run as strongly set to '0' either, so you might lose performance with exhaust timing changes, but you won't know until you try it.

Different tunes change the sounds at cruise too. Advanced intake timing makes it raspy and louder than the more retarded version I have. One I call my 'Civilized' tune and the other is 'Roudy'.:) Before you change that expensive exhaust you might give altering the tune a try.