Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Stroker Crank / Kit Co-Op? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307764)

DarwinSays 01-28-2013 12:09 PM

Stroker Crank / Kit Co-Op?

Hey folks,

I was talking with Tom a month or two ago about the stroker kits he used to offer on his motors and had come to learn that the manufacturer wants to sell them in sets of 3, putting a wrench in the works for my plans to build a stroked 2.3L Zetec.

As a result, I decided to post this and see if there was anyone else with a genuine and *serious* interest in a possible co-op purchase for these kits, which if memory serves cost around $3,700 each. If Tom sees this post, maybe he would be willing to reply with more details for us since I didn't actually think to get the name of the manufacturer / distributor at the time.

Purchase window is tentatively some time around May of this spring.
If there isn't enough interest in this by that time, then I may attempt another co-op later this year or next spring. I'd really rather not have to drop over 10k on kits then attempt to offload what I don't use, but I will if that's what's necessary.

Alternately, if anyone knows of any distributors that sell single kits, that would be very useful information as well, removing the need for a co-op altogether.

iminhell 01-28-2013 05:28 PM

I'm only interested in what it can do in a built N/A application.
I've seen #'s from boosted but that's not the route I'm going.
At this point, $3,700 is pretty steep for just parts. But if that's for an assembled short block, not so bad.

DarwinSays 01-29-2013 11:10 AM

No, that was for the kit only, as I understand it.
...and yes, it's a bit steep, but it's also lag-free power for not a whole lot of extra strain on the motor (plus the option of still boosting it after the fact if you really feel the need to).

focusmaniaczx3 01-31-2013 04:43 PM

dont do it man. i dont want to rain on your parade but ive been down the same route as you thinking about the stroker. 3700 will get you a complete turbo kit ready to bolt on and run AND a forged bottom end. and you might even have some left over for other goodies. it would be cool as hell but not worth it unless the stroker kit is capable of supporting well over 700whp and you are planning on making the most powerful zetec focus ever. that is the reason those never sold very well.

1turbofocus 01-31-2013 07:36 PM

How are you going to do a forged bottom end and complete turbo kit for 3700.00 with change left
xcal3 / boost tune = 929.00
Turbo 800.00
Eagle rods and Forged pistons 800.00

Just 4 parts of that total over 2500 thats over 2/3 of your 3700

Complete turbo kit and forged bottom end will cost at least 5500 - 6500+ with no corners cut

If people get interested in the stroker I will contact the maker and get an exact price on 3 kits thats the least they will sell , But like focusmaniaczx3 said its a steep price to pay for NA Focus

Tom

Fordcus Fan 01-31-2013 09:01 PM

I have been collecting parts for the last 7 years to build my 2.3 NA Zetec & spent over 12k dollars so far. Worth every penny to me. Good luck on finding "anyone else with a genuine and *serious* interest"

focusmaniaczx3 02-01-2013 02:52 AM

Ah the tune! Forgot that bit! $800 bottom end, $2000 second hand kit, $500 clutch, rest on misc gaskets and bearings. do your own labor and without a tune thats about right.

DarwinSays 02-01-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by focusmaniaczx3 (Post 4566862)
dont do it man. i dont want to rain on your parade but ive been down the same route as you thinking about the stroker. 3700 will get you a complete turbo kit ready to bolt on and run AND a forged bottom end. and you might even have some left over for other goodies. it would be cool as hell but not worth it unless the stroker kit is capable of supporting well over 700whp and you are planning on making the most powerful zetec focus ever. that is the reason those never sold very well.

Actually yeah - I may well be aiming for loads of power in the longer run. It probably won't be 700hp since this is also a DD, but it should turn out to be a rock solid motor in any case. Like any good engine - it starts with good internals rather than bolt-ons.

I'll be pursuing this either way so long as I keep the car, it's merely a matter of when. I'll buy all three kits and sell one of them if I really must, as a last resort (since once the new motor goes in, the old one is getting a rebuild / build up as well), but I would like to see interest in these kits mostly because it lets me get my hands on a kit or two sooner rather than later.

with tax time upon us and track days being not too far around the corner, this is one of those times that people who have money to throw at upgrades like this tend to start buying their parts, so here the co-op offer stands. [poke]

I will keep this thread active until the purchase window passes, at which point I'll simply have to make do until this fall or next spring, by which point I can perhaps afford all 3 kits. [8D]

1turbofocus 02-01-2013 10:55 AM

Forged bottom end

Machine work 300-350 if done properly (clean , bore , square block , oil passages, line hone , NPT plugs etc)
Balance rotating assy 125.00
Eagle rods and forged pistons 750.00
ARP head and main studs 280.00
Rod and main bearings 110.00
Front and rear seals 40.00
oil pump 110
= 1760.00 - 1800.00 and that if you assy the engine and thats about cost on parts

Used Turbo kit 2000-2500
Clutch 500
xcal and tune 929.00
Misc 1000.00 (oil , oil filter , anti , thurmo , plugs , odd parts for used kit , gasket set , zip ties , paint , etc etc )

Total 6225.00 - 6725.00

Thats with the owner doing ALL the labor , there is just no way to get out of it cost 5500-6500 to do a built engine turbo kit tuned

Tom

DarwinSays 02-05-2013 07:18 AM

So it's actually a bit cheaper than going the turbo route [correctly]? interesting.

Tom (or anyone else who might know), what can you say in regards to claims that stroking a motor helps prolong the life of the engine in a DD scenario? Similarly, would the stroked crank be more susceptible to any kind of balance issues over the stock/SVT crank?