Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Original Stereo Model Numbers - How to make heads or tails? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307730)

spongebue 01-28-2013 12:47 AM

Original Stereo Model Numbers - How to make heads or tails?

Hi all,

I bought a 2005 Focus a while back. ZX5 SES to be precise. It also came with the audiophile package (subwoofer, Sony speakers). Unfortunately, the guy I bought it from said that there was one CD slot in the stack of 6 not working, so in the interest of keeping everything functioning as it designed, he put in a cheap Sony deck and got rid of the original head unit. [bash]... at least he had it installed with the proper wiring so the sub and steering wheel controls still work.

So, now I'm thinking about going back to original head unit. Put my VIN into fordparts.com, and the audio chassis that came up was part number 18D806. It was also in the $600 range. So naturally, I look at other options (used, other sites, etc). I didn't see that specific model number, but there were some similar ones out there. Can anyone tell me what the differences in model numbers mean? All I know is that this had a 6-disc changer and works with steering wheel controls and the sub woofer. That said, if I can get the SYNC unit at a reasonable price, I'd definitely consider that. Not sure if that's a factor or not.

Thanks!

I Bleed Ford Blue 01-28-2013 03:56 AM

You are better off staying with an aftermarket unit, the factory 6 disc units are notoriously crap they always seem to break, definitely not worth the 6 bills they want for it. A cheap 100 dollar headunit from wally world sounds better than the factory radios do anyway.

SkyPilot 01-28-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue (Post 4560675)
You are better off staying with an aftermarket unit, the factory 6 disc units are notoriously crap they always seen to break, definitely not worth the 6 bills they want for it. A cheap 100 dollar headunit from wally world sounds better than the factory radios do anyway.

This, for around $300 you can get a nice touch screen video HU. the 6 disc is know to break.

spongebue 01-28-2013 12:04 PM

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't drop $600 on a stock system. That's just what I was quoted at fordparts.com. However, I did see some used ones at a very reasonable price (~$100 or less) and would like to give that a try. They just don't match the part number 100% though, so I want to know what differences I would expect. For the time being, I'm not too worried about durability of the cd changer, since I very rarely use it anyway.

I also remember seeing somewhere that the audiophile units have an extra port for the subwoofer, could someone remind me of which one that is?