Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Aftermarket radio turns off when accelerating (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307677)

mtbrider730 01-27-2013 11:12 AM

Aftermarket radio turns off when accelerating

I installed an aftermarket radio last week. I've wired other radios in older cars of mine and havent had any issues. The problem with this one is that I had to splice the stock harness to wire in the new one. When I was trying to figure out which were the front and rear speakers there was a spark and I blew a fuse or two which I have already replaced.

The problem I am having is when I accelerate the radio turns off and will come back on later. I only have this problem when it is in gear, I reved the engine when in park and the radio was fine. From searching the forum I found that it could be bad coils or alternator but I installed new coils earlier today and my alternator is putting out about 14.8V.

I'm going to look through my fuses and see if anything else blew but after that I don't know where to go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

whynotthinkwhynot 01-27-2013 11:38 AM

Moved to Car Audio and Electronics, because these guys are more familiar with issues caused by aftermarket installations. General Technical Chat is for maintenance issues on stock vehicles or un-modded parts.

FYI: you can use a 9v battery on the speaker wires to figure out location- you'll hear a pop in the speaker when both wires are connected. It's a lot better than blowing fuses. I also highly recommend purchasing Metra adapters online. If you look around, you can find those a lot cheaper than Best Buy or install stores. I think I paid $6 for the last one I used. It takes out the guess work and screw-ups with wiring.

Good luck, and thanks for posting!

mtbrider730 01-27-2013 11:54 AM

Thanks for the help. I looked online for adapters but its some weird off brand radio that my friend gave me, I couldn't find anything. It has a DVD player in it that is supposed to be run to the e-brake but I just grounded it. That potentially could be giving me the problems? I checked the fuses and didn't find anything.

Kipp 01-28-2013 09:34 PM

first off please don't use a battery to test for speakers; you only use them to test phase. if you get the wrong wire you can cause damage or possibly set off an airbag and injure yourself (i've seen it happen). Always use a meter to test wiring. voltage for power wires and resistance for speakers.

do you know what wires you connected to? in the ford harness there are two wires that will appear to be a ground if not tested properly and can cause weird reactions if connected to the wrong one. i do have schematics on what the stock wiring is for comparison. also what brand and model is the unit you are using? certain ones have different non-cea wiring colors and can be easily confused and mixed up. grounding the parking break wire shouldn't cause any issues.

also the adapter you were looking for is one that will connect to the car's factory harness and have open ends that you can then splice to the aftermarket headunit's harness.

mtbrider730 01-29-2013 11:38 AM

I'd have to look at the car to know what wires are actually connected to the power. I went through with a DMM and tested all the wires for voltages, I suppose I could have done a continuity test on the speakers as well (did not think of that at the time).

I'm driving a 2001 ford focus SE 4 door sedan

I know the serpentine belt is slipping, especially when its raining/snowing it will squeel more. The radio will cut out when it starts to squeel and comes back once it stops. I know that is part of the issue, but I'm not sure why the radio cuts out when I come to a stop. I replaced the belt but I noticed the tensioner wasn't smooth when I was loosening it. I'm going to try to grease the tensioner or just replace it and go from there.

Is it possible the belt is slipping even if there is no noticeable squeel?

mtbrider730 02-01-2013 08:59 PM

Replaced the alternator after getting it tested at Advanced. When I reconnected the battery I noticed it was corroded, so much that the car was actually having electrical problems (wouldn't start and lights were dim). I have cleaned the terminals. I also but a new tensioner on the serpentine belt but still having problems with the radio. I have been getting shocked a lot by the door jam getting out of the car. Given it is winter and you tend to get shocked more in the dry air, but could it possibly be a ground?

Any help is appreciated!

mtbrider730 02-02-2013 04:14 PM

after getting a test at advanced auto, there was an alternator problem. I replaced the alternator and got it retested. The new alternator is perfect but appearently there is a power drain.

I do not know much about drain tests, but it read 20.67A. I figured I would start with checking grounds.

Does anyone know where the ground for the radio actually goes to on the car?

beyond_theft 08-24-2014 05:00 PM

I have this problem now too i jsut intalled a HU and amp but when i accelerate over 3 km the radio turns off but when istop itll turn back on (2002 ford focus ztw)

freemind 08-25-2014 01:10 PM

Run a new grounding wire 12-14ga from the deck straight to the drivers side kick panel behind the plastic trim. Drill a hole in the flat metal, use some sandpaper to sand the spot to bare metal, then use a star washer, a ring terminal and a metal screw to attach it with. Cover with dielectric grease and you will have a solid ground.

Post results.

Focus Fixer Too 10-06-2014 07:47 PM

I have a 2001 Focus wagon, and frequently the radio just goes dead! Then sometime later it come back on again. How do I get the radio out of the instrument panel? I think the post above about a new ground wire might be the answer, but I don't know how to get at the radio....