Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus ST (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Chances of Auto ST w/in next few model years (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307675)

Shorty Long 01-27-2013 10:51 AM

Chances of Auto ST w/in next few model years

What do you think the chances are Ford comes out with an auto transmission option for the ST...select shift with paddles?

I'm cool with the manual, but I would need an automatic option if I were to purchase since my wife has no experience with a manual transmission.

erogers10287 01-27-2013 11:50 AM

I would say it would depend on the demand. I know the Mazdaspeed 3 doesn't come in auto and it's been out for a while now...

Sonic_HedgeHog 01-27-2013 12:14 PM

Teach your wife or get her her own car... I don't see it happening, not when the aforementioned MS3 is without and the STi is without, the only car it'd really be directly competing against then is the GTI, maybe the EVO MR.

And if you look at Ford History... Paints an even better picture for "not happening"

LouBomb 01-27-2013 12:22 PM

Teach her how to drive stick... Funny enough my wife drove my mothers minivan today to move some shit.. And this is what she texted me...

My fiesta st is going to be manual lol non of this automatic sshit..

It brought a tear to my eye.. She drives a Svt btw

Sent from my JailBroken iPhone.

Deftmetal 01-27-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouBomb (Post 4559383)
Teach her how to drive stick... Funny enough my wife drove my mothers minivan today to move some shit.. And this is what she texted me...

My fiesta st is going to be manual lol non of this automatic sshit..

It brought a tear to my eye.. She drives a Svt btw

Sent from my JailBroken iPhone.

Win[thumb]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty Long (Post 4559262)
What do you think the chances are Ford comes out with an auto transmission option for the ST...select shift with paddles?

I'm cool with the manual, but I would need an automatic option if I were to purchase since my wife has no experience with a manual transmission.

Not so much [facepalm]

AZfocus2012 01-27-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty Long (Post 4559262)

It will probably happen by or in the 2014 model year. I have tried to find the article I read where someone was interviewing someone from R&D at Ford. They said they were working on it. The DCT was going to need to be beefed up and they were going to get it right before they introduced it, unlike the DCT in the 2012 Focus. In most any given high performance model car that comes with a DCT/DSG and a manual option. The DCT/DSG outsells the manual by like 60/40 or more. So Ford knows they are missing a lot of sales without the DCT/DSG option. This car thing is a money thing for Ford and I am sure they want to capture all those missing sales. I would likely buy one myself when it comes with the DCT.

Shorty Long 01-27-2013 02:55 PM

that's good to hear if true...although i shudder to think about a DCT-equipped ST given the problems they've had with it on the regular Focus

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 (Post 4559545)
It will probably happen by or in the 2014 model year. I have tried to find the article I read where someone was interviewing someone from R&D at Ford. They said they were working on it. The DCT was going to need to be beefed up and they were going to get it right before they introduced it, unlike the DCT in the 2012 Focus. In most any given high performance model car that comes with a DCT/DSG and a manual option. The DCT/DSG outsells the manual by like 60/40 or more. So Ford knows they are missing a lot of sales without the DCT/DSG option. This car thing is a money thing for Ford and I am sure they want to capture all those missing sales. I would likely buy one myself when it comes with the DCT.

CharlieRose 02-03-2013 11:57 AM

Boy, I hope Ford doesn't douche-up the car by putting an auto transmission in it.

AJK31 02-03-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieRose (Post 4570781)
Boy, I hope Ford doesn't douche-up the car by putting an auto transmission in it.

Agreed! It is a waste to make a performance car such as the ST and put an automatic in it. However, I would like to see a flappy-paddle gearbox at some point. Give it quicker shifts and really optimize the 252 hp under the hood.

Budderybunz 02-03-2013 01:08 PM

Slim to none