Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Low Tire Prssure warning.....now what? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307536)

JesseE1981 01-25-2013 04:36 PM

Low Tire Prssure warning.....now what?

The title may seem self-explanatory, but let me explain further. It's been rather cold here in Michigan, so the PSI in my tires had dropped to 27-28. The recommended PSI on the side of the door says 35, so I added air to each tire to get it back to 35. Well, the low tire pressure warning still comes on when I start the car, the the light stays illuminated. There doesn't appear to be any sort of leaks....any ideas? Has anyone else encountered this? Doesn't seem like something I should have to reset, or do I?

scott7278 01-25-2013 04:47 PM

You need to fill them up while the tires are cold...if you drive on them first (warming them up), you could still get a low-pressure warning when the tires get cold again.

scott7278 01-25-2013 04:48 PM

If that doesn't do it, you have a leak.

Pendarus 01-25-2013 04:52 PM

The Spare tire?

BlueIce 01-25-2013 05:19 PM

Check the tire manually to see if it is at 35. If it is, the tire sensor may just need time to reset itself. Sometimes that does happen. If you did lose pressure and its not just the sensor use water to check for leaks.

05focusST91 01-25-2013 05:20 PM

Is the light flashing when you first start it? Id double check the pressures with a different pressure gauge

Kabigon 01-25-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseE1981 (Post 4556746)
The title may seem self-explanatory, but let me explain further. It's been rather cold here in Michigan, so the PSI in my tires had dropped to 27-28. The recommended PSI on the side of the door says 35, so I added air to each tire to get it back to 35. Well, the low tire pressure warning still comes on when I start the car, the the light stays illuminated. There doesn't appear to be any sort of leaks....any ideas? Has anyone else encountered this? Doesn't seem like something I should have to reset, or do I?

Did you drive the car after adding air?

The pressure sensors "go to sleep" when the car isn't moving (when the tires are not rotating) to prolong their battery life.

pozi240 01-25-2013 07:54 PM

How long has the warning been illuminated? Is this just something that started happening very recently? Do you have different winter rims, or are these the original rims that came with the car? If winter rims, do you have extra sensors in them, where are your OEM rims stored in relation to where you park your car (proximity). This could be TPMS sensor issue depending on what answers you give.

BetaDnB 01-26-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4556922)
Did you drive the car after adding air?

The pressure sensors "go to sleep" when the car isn't moving (when the tires are not rotating) to prolong their battery life.

I know you know a lot about this car, however anytime I've put air in my tires with the light on (including this morning) I do so with the car running. When I reenter my car the light is already off.

Rogerschro 01-26-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaDnB (Post 4557914)
I know you know a lot about this car, however anytime I've put air in my tires with the light on (including this morning) I do so with the car running. When I reenter my car the light is already off.

That's how I did it too. Car was running, warming up while I aired the tires. They were down to 26psi, put in 35psi cold. No issues after that.